Boardworx 500

Kitesurfing inland Lakes / Reservoir etc

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.

Kitesurfing inland Lakes / Reservoir etc

Postby Charlie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:37 pm

Ive just spent 30 minutes on the blower to sevral reservoirs local to me who allow sailing and Windsurfing but not Kitesurfing !

it would appear that the water boards and im talking specifically abour anglian water and severn trent water have an outright ban !

Now i could of understood it 10 years ago but things have moved so far on with relaunch and safty you would of though there could be some movment on this, even a possible demonstration to show how and i quote " Out of Control we are "

so i am wondering if any land lovers like myself have had any better feedback than me or regulary have acess to an inland spot ?

we dont all live by the coast you know :lol:
Charlie
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Re: Kitesurfing inland Lakes / Reservoir etc

Postby rakeem15 » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:46 pm

Charlie,

What is just the perception the the sport overall is dangerous? If so that's a bit out of order..

Saw a thread a few months back on inland waters and how they'd not be suitable for kiteboarding due to restricted land/launch areas, obstacles and the like which knid of put me off pursuing the idea.

I'd be very interested to know if anyone out there actually does this on a regular basis (and where!).
rakeem15

Postby Pyro Tim » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:46 pm

do a search, there's been loads of threads on this
Pyro Tim

Postby Charlie » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:07 pm

Dont get me wrong here im not suggesting that evry lake or reservoir is at all suitable, it has to be big enough, have a clean wind direction without much in the way around the edges for a landing and launching, however there are places out there that have all of these,

The perception was that we would hit fishing boats if you really want to know, at which point i new i was getting no where !

however i was bloddy nice and would hope anyone who conatcts any form of water official is the same, we dont want the sport to get a bad name because of the nievity of the general publics outside view.

But im very keen to hear of anyone who has been succesful with any of the above

Thanks

Charlie
Charlie
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby darryl pretorius » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:57 pm

I got closer but and then it all fell to bits.
Local parish have since taken over and are keen on all water sports once its all sorted out so fingers crossed.
Not too sure how to add the internal link but do a search under:

Kitesurfing on local lake?

Good luck with it.
darryl pretorius

Postby Physio-pete » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:28 pm

Yorkshire water are quite clear that they do not have alicence for kitesurfing on any of there reservoirs. Also was in contact with the guy who owns the lake that the yorkshire wind surfing club used. He was up for it but then the insurance pulled the plug Wind suring too) with £7000 a year for wind sports due to a wall some where near one side of the lake. So it seems insurance is a big problem.
Physio-pete

Postby ezstevie » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:23 am

I live in Nottingham and there is a huge lake just south of the National Watersports Centre - my friend and I have been thinking of doing it for a while now. We even went on a recce mission!

I know it is irresponsible and illegal but to be honest its the buzz factor that I'm more interested in! I think we might try and get out at dusk, its prettty isolated and empty most of the time!

Rutland water is another spot but its so busy that you can only really do it super early in the morning, have your getaway vehicle waiting as the water authority are harsh!
ezstevie

Postby alexd » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:07 pm

Just to add from a different point of view. I was a memeber of 2 inland clubs for windsurfing and racing lasers. The one thing that means I wouldn't kite inland is the gusts. Compared to the coast the gust range can be massive. Most sailing clubs would also probably object as there is still a certain snobbery in inland sailing clubs.

For the future though there are plans to build a huge resevoir south of oxford. It is planned to be big enough to sail yaghts (not good at spelling so big boats) on and if i remember rightly about 4-6 miles across. Thames water have bought up huge amounts of land to flood. This may change things for inland kiting but personally I'd rather take a trip to the coast where the wind is a lot cleaner even if that is over an hour away.
alexd

Postby jay.mac » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:35 pm

Feeling you pain Charlie, but lets face it, if you live in the uk, your never that far away from the coast? In the winter, I would think the water temp in lochs would pop your Atoms(not talking about you kite either). :-D
jay.mac

Postby GSter » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:35 pm

Just bought myself a 250,000 square metre gravel pit in Gloucestershire and it is the mutts for kitesurfing!
GSter

Postby pjs199 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:35 pm

GSter wrote:Just bought myself a 250,000 square metre gravel pit in Gloucestershire and it is the mutts for kitesurfing!

What do you plan to do with it? May be based at Kemble airfield next summer which is too far from the sea, and kiteing would be better than the cable there.
pjs199

Postby caribcat » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:33 pm

I've kited Rutland back in the day in most directions. Really gusty and the wind isn't always on the water so if you stuff it relaunching can be an issue.

I bet you'd find some gravel pits down Baston/Langtoft Fen (Peterborough) for sale.
caribcat

Postby Tricky Dicky » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:27 pm

I think but not sure its posibly maybe you can smurf at Kielder resevoir, maybe not at the sailing club thats close to the damn but the scout centre at the top end may have suitable facilities..........MAYBE!!! :-D but thats oop north
Tricky Dicky

Postby GSter » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:34 pm

pjs199 wrote:
GSter wrote:Just bought myself a 250,000 square metre gravel pit in Gloucestershire and it is the mutts for kitesurfing!

What do you plan to do with it? May be based at Kemble airfield next summer which is too far from the sea, and kiteing would be better than the cable there.

I will mostly be kiting with a couple of mates!
Might build a shed for some chairs and storage and a BBQ.....and on no wind days a bit of pike fishing
GSter

Postby Phantom paul » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:22 am

I will mostly be kiting with a couple of mates!
Might build a shed for some chairs and storage and a BBQ.....and on no wind days a bit of pike fishing

sounds awesome ,,,, :wink:
Phantom paul

Ocean Rodeo

Next

Return to The Chicken Loop