Boardworx 500

Monster squall at Camber today!

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.

Monster squall at Camber today!

Postby Cyprino » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm sure there's some of you guys on here who were out there today!

These words are by eazyrider from the kitesbuggiesandboards forum:

"Well if ever the phrase "OMG" could be used today was it!

It started offnice, sunny, warm and around 15mph then after a while me and peter32 noticed the mother of all storm fronts coming in from the sea, I had been keeping an eye on it for around half an hour and everyone on the land and water was enjoying the effects of the front moving in.

Then a flash of lightning around 10-20 miles away after the 3rd every landbased kiter had landed and sanded there kites. As we stood there watching this monster grow and the front was moving at a rate that made you move your head to follow it.

After the 6th flash of lightning most of the water lads where running in and I went on kite catching duty and that was it!

ALL HELL BROKE LOSE!

The wind went from 20mph to 60-70mph in a second! Two lads where picked from the water one covered the entire beach Around 500m without touching the ground and only came down as he was tangled with another kiter who was in flight. People where sliding down the beach at around 30-40mph with their kites at the edge! I went to chase after one person but then he had around 10 people running after him so I made the mad dash back to my kite that was still weighted down yet moving up the beach. People left right and centre were trying to fire their safety but the load was to much to fire off from Naish to slingy not people where on their knees going across the beach tugging with both hands at the safety yet nothing!

Pampers is 18st and was setting up his kite he ended sat on his un-inflated venom and it was dragging him up the beach, here's jonny was knocked over by the wind and it was like nature just went "F**K YOU"

On the up side no one was badly hurt and only a couple of kites got damaged but it could have been so much worse!

Do you remember that video from 2 years ago of the kitesurfer who was out in Miami when he got lofted and slamed into the building and went over the camera man?

Well it was like that but with around 15 experienced local lads.

The mad part is (and the worrying part) it was a buitifull sunny day with a 15mph breeze with around 30 kites up in total and I dread to think what would of happened if it was at the weekend as there would have been around 60-70 beginners on the land and water and 30+ experienced people on the land and water. Now think of around 100 kitesurfers all overpowered and tea bagging across the beach with all the bucket and spaders

Anyway a quick warning!

Keep an eye on the weather behind you and know and understand what a storm front looks like and if you see on get your kite down and packed up. It might take 30 minuets to get to you it could take 30 seconds or it might just die out but you will be safe and it only takes a few minuets to set up again.

Be safe guys!"
Cyprino

Re: Monster squall at Camber today!

Postby Cyprino » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:24 pm

So, if anyone is in any doubt what a violent squall looks like (or how f***ing huge it was today), see below.

4 images taken by my brother Jon, stitched together by me in Photoshop.

Click here for a large version: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4794259219_52bf3ebe9f_o.jpg

I was talking to a couple of lads just before we ran to land kites, I managed to get to one guy with a Takoon Nova (I think), and had just got it on its leading edge and knelt on it when the monster winds hit. He was extremely grateful as you can imagine - I saw him a bit later in the car park and I had a quick chat to him, he was shocked how quick it came in, and re-iterated his gratitude for me being remotely nearby!

Luckily nobody was seriously injured as far as I'm aware. One guy on a 7m Fuel took a bit of a beating, got some nasty sand burns on his arm (through a wetsuit!), but nobody needed to go to hospital - everyone walked away!
Last edited by Cyprino on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyprino

Postby yorkierob » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:36 pm

just a reminder of what she (mother nature) can do!
glad no-one got hurt like you said it could of been alot worse!!
yorkierob

Postby eazyrider » Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:50 pm

It really could have been mate.

Feel very humbled by it yet its 1245am and I'm still buzzing from it and how mad the whole event was I'm just truly thankful there was no bad accidents. After seeing what happened to ? and his super man I was so relieved to see him walking away with just a bad sand rash I was told by someone that he flew over them around 15ft up.
eazyrider

Postby blubbo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:47 am

Cyprino wrote:So, if anyone is in any doubt what a violent squall looks like (or how f***ing huge it was today), see below.

Click here for a large version: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4794259219_b450430ec3_o.jpg

I was talking to a couple of lads just before we ran to land kites, I managed to get to one guy with a Takoon Nova (I think), and had just got it on its leading edge and knelt on it when the monster winds hit. He was extremely grateful as you can imagine - I saw him a bit later in the car park and I had a quick chat to him, he was shocked how quick it came in, and re-iterated his gratitude for me being remotely nearby!

Luckily nobody was seriously injured as far as I'm aware. One guy on a 7m Fuel took a bit of a beating, got some nasty sand burns on his arm (through a wetsuit!), but nobody needed to go to hospital - everyone walked away!

wow great pic ... kind of out of a Hollywood BB!
blubbo

Postby carlos_c » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:50 am

Those clouds say get get off of the water quick.....
carlos_c

Postby sean b » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:20 am

amazing :shock: 3rd strike of lightening and all land kiters land yet it takes a further 3 strikes before the water guys decide it might be dangerous........ simply amazing
sean b

Postby The Bandit » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:38 am

I was at Shoreham last night and could see that Squal/Storm out at sea and the bolts of lightning. With the southerly winds I thought it was going to land on us, but it just kept going along the coast. Where it did and hit you guys at Camber.

Glad to hear there was only minor scrapes.

What a great photo!
The Bandit

Postby rxs1967 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:40 am

Cyprino wrote:So, if anyone is in any doubt what a violent squall looks like (or how f***ing huge it was today), see below.

Click here for a large version: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4074/4794259219_b450430ec3_o.jpg

Awesome picture btw!
rxs1967

Postby vaineh » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:42 am

have you got that pic in a higher resolution?? would look cool on my office wall :)

you should totally send that to the bbc or something. kaddy lee preston would love it.
vaineh

Postby fdvj » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 am

It never ceases to amaze me that people ignore squalls or don,t even know what they are. I was caught in a similar one in the Solent on a boat when I was a 12 and will never forget the experience. The description of all hell breaking loose is exactly what it feels like.
That is an awesome picture I would also like a high version if you have one, it is good to be reminded of the potential for these on relatively calm days.
fdvj

Postby Tone » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:03 am

If I saw that coming I would be off the water before it got within about 30 miles!!!!
Tone

Postby Fred » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:08 am

I'm glad nobody was hurt but you have to ask why anyone was still out when it hit!

The wind was predicted to crank up today... The most clearly visible nasty squall I've ever seen is looming down on you... There's been lightning... If you're not landing your kite immediately then you are filling out your entry form for the Darwin awards. Plenty of people have been caught out by weather, but this is about as avoidable as it comes.
Fred

Postby Superman » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:09 am

If I saw that coming I would be hoping for Will Smith to come to the rescue.....

'Who's the man? Huh? Who's the man? Wait till I get another plane! I'm a line ya friends up right beside you! Where ya at, huh? Where ya at?'
Superman

Postby lukepalin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:11 pm

I cannot believe that photo- truly amazing. The fact that no one was hurt just goes to show how amazingly safe the sport is nowadays. Imagine if this had happened afew years back while everyone was attached to huge C's with limited depower???? That photo really is pretty special- defo send it to the bbc weather office...
lukepalin

Core

Next

Return to The Chicken Loop