Boardworx 500

Calling all x windsurfers

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.

Postby kiteingcolin » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:01 pm

Have you tried the airush V3 60 sector
No?
You should!
Flipping amazing bit of kit, so fast, so smooth even over very wavy surfaces,easy to gybe as well, turns amazingly quickly even though it tracks very quickly and solidly upwind, nose stays down even as you fly over the crests, brilliant, so good, it feels so similar to high performance windsurfing Salom boards with large race fins in.
I have the V3 54 as well, but the 60 is the shockingly good performer,
If there was a one design race series this board would be my choice, a race board for the masses

Warning, placed above may be an opinion :-D
kiteingcolin

Re: Calling all x windsurfers

Postby HillySuffolk » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:47 am

I fully agree I picked up a sector 60 v1 from Surfstore, and I agree it's amazing to ride, tracks fantastic upwind, and great even when powered up. Although this doesn't take a lot!
HillySuffolk

Postby Dragnfly » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:37 am

Bloody hell Kiting Colin !! We thought you had been abducted by aliens!!
Dragnfly

Postby kiteingcolin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:40 am

HillySuffolk wrote:I fully agree I picked up a sector 60 v1 from Surfstore, and I agree it's amazing to ride, tracks fantastic upwind, and great even when powered up. Although this doesn't take a lot!

I had the V1 a few seasons back, it was good but try the V3, and with the V3 you get Tuttle fins with full depth head fixing in the forward fins, so no breaking the fin box as I did on the V1, the fin set up helps towards the feeling of knife through butter as you track so quickly and smoothly over the rough stuff, strangely it's much smoother than the smaller 54 which at the moment feels not as fast, that might change as I mess around with fin placement, there are so many fin configurations I can use due to the 5 fin Boxs in each boards it will take a lot of water time to try them all out, and I have extra fins from older boards from years back
Dragnfly wrote:Bloody hell Kiting Colin !! We thought you had been abducted by aliens!!

I have been busy trying to work out should I retire, or stay on part time to pay for toys,even though I have built up a good store of kit that should last for over 20 years, har!, bought a motorhome and even more kit as above, might give retirement a miss for another 2-5 years, even though I was counting down every day left to retirement from 270 days out from the date I had set, many on the flexi forum were watching the day count falling, and others were wondering what the reducing numbers were for. I am now thinking you need a stressfull sort of job to have something to look forward to and plan for, makes the kite sessions feel more special, but others may think thats mad,
Yeeeharrrr

Warning, above you may find an opinion :-D
kiteingcolin

Postby waverider » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:31 am

Being retired can be hard-work for it to be satisfying if daily satisfaction is the sort of thing that keeps you going. I'm knacked all the time, satisfied most of the time and skint all of the time. :-D

When you add a motorhome you add the responsibility to enjoy it, it's like keeping four cars clean and tidy if you're not happy for it to smell like a bogey-hole, and a motorhome absorbs money.

I had a brief go on Sector V2 60, what an experience. Just like going back to sailing but my knees, hips and back were not coping as well as they do with a twin-tip. First thoughts were, "This is going to appeal to ex windsurfers".
waverider

Postby ronnie » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:10 am

Maybe more to windsurfers than ex-windsurfers.

I think its easier to learn on a big twintip, but my first kiteboard was a 7' long 3 strap directional and it was easy to use coming from windsurfing.
A lot of windsurfers would be interested in kiting as an add-on to windsurfing because even they would admit that kiting is more fun in light winds, and the Sector 60 is perfect for maximising that.
ronnie

Postby BrightonSurf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:08 am

What is the realistic low end on a Sector with a standard 12m kite?
BrightonSurf

Postby waverider » Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:36 pm

Mike Birt told me, "If the kite flies, it'll move the board" My first go was with a 12, perhaps should have used an 8 or 10. A lot of buoyancy in those boards so you don't need much power to stop them sinking.
waverider

Postby Mike B » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:36 pm

BrightonSurf wrote:What is the realistic low end on a Sector with a standard 12m kite?

That is a very subjective question, with a lot of different things you can change to effect the outcome.
With 4 fins I saw a 10m lithium power in 8 and survive 5-6 lulls.. I am a twinkle toes though. Temp was 13 degrees

I tried the same board in Thailand and had a nightmare getting a 17m vxr into the water, it was so light that I could barely keep it in the air.. Bring it to low and it would not climb, keep it still and it would just fall forwards out of the window. After 3 power strokes I was seriously using half the depower.. Shocking!

My favourite setup on these boards is 3 fin, but 4 can go earlier, and the v3 is a lot more efficient than v2, which is more efficient than v1..

I never leave gone without the 54 or 60. I'd contemplate leaving the tt or surfboard behind if forgotten, but leaving without the sector is chancing you would not ride.. And I have fun on them in wind too.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Oh, and I should say, go read the test on the 54 and 60 in Kiteworld... It makes good reading...

If Olympic kiting brings technological advances that will push what the sector can do already further forward, I think the discipline and fun factor will open this sport up a great deal, and I welcome it with open arms..
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby BrightonSurf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Mike B wrote:
BrightonSurf wrote:What is the realistic low end on a Sector with a standard 12m kite?

That is a very subjective question, with a lot of different things you can change to effect the outcome.
With 4 fins I saw a 10m lithium power in 8 and survive 5-6 lulls.. I am a twinkle toes though. Temp was 13 degrees

Thanks for the info. To be honest if I get one I would only go out in 8-12 knots. Anything lighter and the risk of it going below the wind speed to keep a kite in the air and losing my kit is too great. The idea of cruising about in lighter winds when the water is alot smoother and making everyone jealous really appeals to me.
BrightonSurf

Postby kiteingcolin » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:02 pm

I am waiting for my 15 north dyno which will be way more suitable in very light winds than my heavier 14 mtr Bandit V, I used to have the dyno 16 mtr, but the risk of dropping it made me get rid as it was almost impossible to relaunch it in fickle winds,and even more so in mega light winds, which you have to think about as getting one of these boards means you will proberly end up sailing way out to sea,
You can getaway with using a very small kite but then you will miss out on the fun that comes from powered down loops onto an off wind reach, and the heart stopping lift from the fins as you push the power from the kite down to the 4 race fins, and of course the extra float and lift when you pop over crests, you can't resist the yeeeharrrr moments as the board lifts over the wave and you pull in the bar,crutch up and rocket through the air in control, the old V1 did allow the air to get under the board which tried to turn it over (maybe that was strap placment) and you'd not want to land hard on the fins as the board and fin Boxs were not made like the v3 which feels solid from end to end
kiteingcolin

Postby Mike B » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 am

also, for those of you who have not seen this before have a look at this.. It's a good vid, and while not double mega loop, it goes to show why we have so much fun on these things when others are sat in their vans after a wasted trip to the beach...

and here is an explanation of the tech;

Also,
for any who want to know more about the different sector versions, their fin choices and options, here is a compression of a conversation I had on email with one of the designers regarding fin cant (angle of the fin). Also number and placement of fins is another important topic, as each board has 5 boxes, but for now I thought I would share this...

They spent a lot of time playing with fins, apparently very interesting but exhausting.
To put it in perspective, this is what the sectors were armed with in terms of their fins and cant angles - degree of deviation from dead upright to outside cant (fins bending outwards to the rails)

Sector V1 & V2 - 7 Deg Cant
Sector V3 – 5 Deg outside (Vertical Centre)
Monaro V4 – 3.5 Deg (Vertical Centre)

The less cant they had on the fins, the easier it is to ride them flat. Sounded to me like the board will find a natural balance, in terms of the sweet spot, when railed down to windward, based on how much cant you have in each fin. So by the numbers above, Monaro rides the flattest, fastest but is the most demanding, sector V1 and V2 ride much more on the rail and are the easiest. I must admit, when I think about it, this does go some way to explaining how the V1- V3 sectors ride..

And.. as I understand, generally the flatter you ride them, the less stability you have from the rail, but the less drag you have, so the boards are faster. However the less cant you have, the more difficult the boards are to ride in terms of tolerance to burying the windward rail. If the fins are near vertical and you push the windward rail in, the nose of board will tend to head off aggressively downwind, not carve upwind - then you go over the handlebars. So having some cant (and the asymmetrical foils) allows you to belt around without worrying to much about board trim, exactly what you can't do on a Monaro.

Sectors also use asymmetrical foils, which makes them more neutral in terms of fin drive (Think of it as the fins lifting well outwards, but not inwards), so trying to rail the Sectors over to leeward - rail tipped downwind - (Like Monaro) will reduce drive on the leeward fin (downwind fin) and it will lose drive. But flat is good for speed - and as you get better it's possible to experiment with more vertical fins (Even just the back set or using a single fin), up to a point, you start to find the board becomes extremely sensitive to trim. Apparently it eventually reaches the threshold where your possibility blowing up becomes greater than your possibility to continue powering up.. and thus you've past the optimum.

I guess the racers are pushing trim further as their ability improves to control the most aggressive design combinations. For us though, the fun factor is why we go riding on sectors, and the V3 hits the efficiency / ease of use combination squarely on the head.

It's re-assuring to know how much R&D goes into these things, and I sincerely hope that the team keeps up it's enthusiasm!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby ronnie » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:25 am

Mike B wrote:
Sectors also use asymmetrical foils, which makes them more neutral in terms of fin drive (Think of it as the fins lifting well outwards, but not inwards), so trying to rail the Sectors over to leeward - rail tipped downwind - (Like Monaro) will reduce drive on the leeward fin (downwind fin) and it will lose drive.

That's very interesting info Mike and it all seems logical to me except the leeward fin being the one that loses the drive, because the leeward (less powerful)fin is becoming more vertical and should produce more drive and the windward fin, being asymmetrical is the most powerful fin and it is becoming less vertical so should lose more drive than the leeward fin gains.

Maybe by feel, they can tell that its the leeward fin that loses lift? Maybe it gets overloaded?

Steph Bridge wrote recently that she thinks the main development still to come in racing will be fin development.
It has always seemed to be more of an art than a science, as what the sailor feels on the sea cant be replicated in a test tank.
I can have a good guess at how a single windsurf fin will perform by looking at it but the kite race board finnage seems to be a new level of complexity.

Nice to know that a lot of research has been done though.

Any word yet on when the tri-fin set for the 54 will be available?
ronnie

Postby gudge » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Could you use a small windsurf board as a race board ? Or are they much bigger ? With a kite obviously none of that pole dancing, Just looking at the airush sector they are beginning to look like a windsurf board.
gudge

Ocean Rodeo

Next

Return to The Chicken Loop