Boardworx Best

What wetsuits ye using??

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.

Re: What wetsuits ye using??

Postby kman » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:25 am

cyberdog1899 wrote:
Psycho all the way

+1
kman

Postby Sonnyrider » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:50 pm

+ another voter for the O'Neil Psycho's

All of my suits are Psycho suits
3\2, 4\3, 5\4\3, 6\5\4
Normally buy them a year behind the latest ones, get the bargains that way
Sonnyrider

Postby Pippi Langsamer » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 am

O'Neill Psycho II here too....

(Also got a Mystic Crossfire shorty, but that won't be getting much use here)
Pippi Langsamer

Postby 24-7 Boardsports » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Just out of interest, have any of the kiters currently using double lined suits like the Psycho, Crossfire etc tried a good single lined suit? The rubber finish on the exterior of the suits stops water soaking in & then evaporating in the wind - taking your body heat with it. Its much warmer when you're on & not actually in the water :wink:
24-7 Boardsports

Postby Sonnyrider » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:34 pm

No, I haven't. I've found a brand that fits me
When I next need a suit I might go for a custom, but the last suit I bought was earlier in the year. I'm not gonna bin it just yet

I used to have an OR dry suit, but I put on too much weight, so had to sell it. Now I'm loosing weight . . . :lol: :roll:
Sonnyrider

Postby kite-uk » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Well I have splashed some cash and bought an ion riot 5/5 which is in fact not 5mm all over as it sounds but a mix of 5 4 3
kite-uk

Postby paulie_amoose » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:21 pm

I have an O'Neil WindFreak.. 4.5/3.5 and covered in some wind chill resistent stuff, with the ankle straps and some wrist straps it's practally a dry suit...

Big bucks though...
paulie_amoose

Postby scotty33 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 pm

If you're not bothered about having 'this years model', look out for the wetsuit outlet/warehouse type sites, decent discounts on last years model. I use a Gul Vortex 5 x 3, best £140 I ever spent. E bomb summer suit £50 s/h.
scotty33

Postby supernoodles » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 am

I use an O'Neil Mutant, which is pretty much the Psycho 2 I believe but you climb into it through the neck so no zip and much improved flexibility. Brilliant wetsuit, very warm and comes with a hood that can be zipped on. The climbing in through the neck thing takes a few goes to get used to but it is much easier than the rear zip. I wore the Psycho 2 the other day as well and I'd forgotten how annoying it is trying to do those rear zippers up.
supernoodles

Postby kite-uk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:18 am

I got stuck in one of those chest zips never again thanks. Back zip for me pls
kite-uk

Postby g0nz0 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 am

lol I can't get out of winter neck entry suits either.... must be getting old :wink: I keep getting told how it's the way forward - but not if you spend 10 minutes fighting to get the bastard off over your elbow! :evil:

Anyway if you want a clearance suit you can check out our Special Offer Wetsuits page.

Cheers

Dan
g0nz0

Postby A.Junkie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 am

+1 for the Psyhco II if you want a wettie, flexible, warm, tough seams
A.Junkie

Postby kite-uk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:08 pm

I just got one from wet suit warehouse waiting for the postie
kite-uk

Postby matt_s » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:51 pm

24-7 Boardsports wrote:Just out of interest, have any of the kiters currently using double lined suits like the Psycho, Crossfire etc tried a good single lined suit? The rubber finish on the exterior of the suits stops water soaking in & then evaporating in the wind - taking your body heat with it. Its much warmer when you're on & not actually in the water :wink:

Agree they're warm....but I am clumsy. I managed to shred my last single lined suit in record time on shells, sharp stones, a coat hanger, I think I even put my fingernail through a bit of it. I decided that for me the trade off between warmth and durability was worth the compromise in warmth and have stuck with double lined suits since.

besides - if you're a boardshorts and/or club rash vest wearer (I'm not) you lose much of that single skin warmth advantage too.

Actually, As a geeky question - in winter when the air is cold and damp I would have thought there is little or no evaporation to cause evaporative cooling? if that's the case, we're just talking about wind chill and as all wetsuits are windproof a smooth skin wouldn't have an advantage?

I'm no physicist (not even sure I can spell it) but am interested in the answer if someone knows it science style :-D
matt_s

Postby DanO » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:01 am

Latent heat of evaporation???

Wesuit gets wet and you stay warmer in the water, but when riding the wind increases the rate of evaporation of the water trapped in/on the wet suit surface.....evaporation requires energy and thus takes energy away from your body which results in cooling you down. The shiny surfaces that newer wetsuits use, aim (I think) to stop or at least lower this affect by not allowing the outer surface to get wet and water beads off.
DanO

Core

PreviousNext

Return to The Chicken Loop