Boardworx 500

Cabrinha SwitchBlade vs Vector

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.

Cabrinha SwitchBlade vs Vector

Postby chuky » Wed May 29, 2013 9:30 am

I have had switchblades since 2007 and love them, now i dont want to sound like a complete fan boy I have own other kites over the years (Fone bandit, North Vegas, Naish Torch) but the Switchblade just does it all for me, alas I tried the new 2013 kite and though there some notable upgrades I have noticed a drop in lowend power. Looking down the line of Cabrinha kites they have this new Vector, which seems to be the simple kite or something, though I havent tried it I have heard it flies the similar to a SB however more lowend power. Anyone riding one and can comment on the type of kite it is? also the build quality as it seems to be "more compact and lighter".
chuky

Re: Cabrinha SwitchBlade vs Vector

Postby badgb21 » Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 am

Hi
Just had same dilemma!
Vectors look ok and only had a quick go on one, felt ok, may be a fraction less positive, but I may have imagined it!
The water launch easy, good price and they are used by many schools.
I'm sure there will be plenty of used ones around in the next 12 months or so, which may affect s/h values too.

I've just gone the Ozone Edge route, it arrived this week (10m), not tried it yet. Bit more race orientated than the S/B.
Looks interesting to water launch - aspect ratio is quite different.
No pulleys, bridle is simple and made of spectra line.
Build quality feels very similar to 2012 S/B
Bar feels good. Safety flags to one centre line, so assume not compatible with cab IDS bar.
Depower is via a clamcleat - not my favourite.
Overall impressed so far, lets see how it is on the water, once I've got to grips with it.

If you get to try a vector let us know what you reckon compared to S/B

Kev
badgb21

Re: Cabrinha SwitchBlade vs Vector

Postby badgb21 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Hi
Thought you might like to know how I got on with my Ozone Edge:

First session with 10m Ozone Edge. 2nd June 2013

Duxbury - 84 degs, sunny, blowing cross on, quite gusty, but windy!

Went out on S/B 12m and TT for a while and got well overpowered.
Jumps were going well and was sending kite back again before landing to soften the blow. Cocky, but not totally pretty!
Tide was out and it’s a long walk back!

Rigged ‘Edge’ in garden so knew what to expect. Even so, outside lines had got looped in depower system so had to pull them back through, not sure how that happened?

Easy to pump as struts are so small.
No pulleys and easy to rig, nice feel of quality, similar to Cabrinha.

Got a launch and no probs.

On the water it soon showed is differences to a Cab’
It’s more 'on or off' power than a Cab and a whole lot faster across the water!
It took a while to re-adjust to the power. The kite feels similar across the (sky) wind window speed wise, but accelerates and takes you much faster on the board than a Cab! Took a while to get used to, and it was very gusty.
It felt like getting off a rotational sail and getting on a 4 cam race sail in windsurfing terms.
Or out of a saloon car and into a supercharged version.
It goes upwind miles better.
Tried a couple of small jumps and it’ll take a while to dial in. Most of the boost comes from the speed so will need to try it a bit.
Much less forging than a S/B.

I dropped kite in water to see how it launched and as it was so windy it popped back up without thinking. Need to try this in lighter winds (with surf board)

Walked backed you the long beach and got lifted clean off the floor a couple of times (I'm 245lbs!).
Didn’t panic and realised that you can sheet in with less resistance than my Cab, so concentrated on keeping it sheeted out and it was fine.
May go for higher bar pressure if I keep over sheeting.

Packs up so easy, small struts and a big bag.

It’s going to take a few sessions to get used to it (or love it!), but I think it’ll be great when I’ve got it!

Kev
badgb21

Core

Return to The Chicken Loop