Kitesurfing around Liverpool

Hoylake to Gretna ~ Local beach info and chat.
Jeannine
Antispam: No

Postby Jeannine » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Hi everyone.

I've just booked my first lessons back at home in Northern Ireland, waiting to brave the Winter Seas before heading back to Uni in Liverpool. I'm obviously going to buying kit after I get the lessons done. I have started looking around already (anyone know if a second hand switchblade going?!) but I'm wondering if it's worth dragging all the gear across the water? I'm not sure where people kite board around the area, if there's anyone who's also just new to the sport (or someone more experienced who'd put up with me) who'd be willing to buddy up, and if anyone would be willing to let me split petrol costs with them to get there? Student and all that- I'd rather put my money towards kites than buy a car at the moment!

Many thanks if anyone can help me, and if there are good locations, fill me in on the rules and regs going on on those beaches?

Very-excited-to-learn Jeannine B.

Oh, and are there any girls around?

Share This

duc996bp

Re: Kitesurfing around Liverpool

Postby duc996bp » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:22 pm

You have Ainsdale and New Brighton on your door step, a lot of us Kite at Ainsdale with is a great spot, however does require a Permit. You can get a permit from the Discovery centre at the Beach on proof of Insurance.

Just ask any of us on the beach for help, people are friendly and would me more than happy to offer assistance.

Good site for checking wind in the NW, http://cobs.pol.ac.uk/modl/metfcst/surp ... .php?im=13

John

Jeannine

Postby Jeannine » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks, that's brilliant, I'll get on that!
J

IrishDave

Postby IrishDave » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi Jeannine,

You can kite out at West Kirby and Wallasey. You need to be a memeber of the West Kiby/Hoylake boating club I think its called to use their facilities i.e. changing rooms and car park. Over in Wallasey you don't. You just park by the Harvester pub.. don't need a permit to kite here and it's suitable for beginners (I learn't to kite there with an instructor called Mel) and I still kite there now. Great bunch of people that look out for each other.

Wallasey is good for West to North but ideally you want a north westerly. West kirby is good for South/south westerly

If you are ever over come say Hi.. I'm dead give away with northern irish accent!

Stay safe
David

Dragnfly

Postby Dragnfly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:39 am

Is that Irish Dave that lives in Manchester?

IrishDave

Postby IrishDave » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:29 pm

It is indeed dragonfly! Not been out much myself (i think once twice).. been busy with work since after christmas!

cat_ee

Postby cat_ee » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:33 am

Hey Jeannine,

Dragnfly helpfully passed this on to me - I'm new to the area and looking for spots to kite...I haven't been out for a while so you're probably better than I am, but I'll be heading out when the wind picks up and I drive, so give us a shout! I'll also be chatting to people on the beach for advice/tips/getting to know the area/scene....consider yourselves warned!

Cat

Dragnfly

Postby Dragnfly » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Quick summary 4 u.

New Brighton
Irish Dave (Hi!) refers to Wallasy, but most people know it as new Brighton. Most popular parking / launching spot is from the very handily located Derby Pool pub, on Bayview Drive. You need to avoid full tide by at least an hour or two either side, (depending on how high it is going to be). This is because theres a large sea wall which causes a lot of chop and will mash you and your kit up really badly if you have any mishap. Good in anything from westerly nw, n & ne winds, any tide state except high tides. TIDE TIMES (remember to add an hour for BST).

West Kirby
Very dependant on tide. Can be good but you need to time it right and could easily end up stuck on the water for upto 3 hours with no-where to land! Lots of pole dancers to scare. Parking tricky near the lake, best parking at the end of stanley road nearby (redrocks). North West or South winds. Forget it if any easterly. Wouldnt really recommend this venue until you are more familliar with it & have other people to go with as you may end up on your own. (same tide table as above).

Ainsdale
Great spot. U need a permit tho' - Get your permit here. Parking on the beach costs a couple of pounds i think. I think it's OK in any tide, but maybe in very high tides your car might sink. Others will know more.

Jeannine

Postby Jeannine » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:53 pm

@Cat__ee I just left wrote back to you on kite crowd, haha. I'd be proper up for that! I've been debating taking my kite back over to Liverpool with me from Ireland since I didn't know anyone and I haven't gotten as good over Easter as I had hoped.. If you're up for hitting a beach together let me know and I'll get adding sports equipment onto my flight :)

Joetheslug

Postby Joetheslug » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 am

Hi chaps,

Can anyone advise me of the best place to get action shots of you lot kitesurfing and days/times.

Thanks in advance
Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Joetheslug on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

Joetheslug

Postby Joetheslug » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 am

Hi chaps,

Can anyone advise me of the best place to get action shots of you lot kitesurfing and days/times.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Tony
Site Admin

Postby Tony » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:22 am

Ainsdale beach

Share This

Return to “North West”