Boardworx 500

Board of no wind!

Board questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.

Board of no wind!

Postby mike.s » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:14 pm

Well, there was any wind so i thought i`d set about attempting to make my first board :-D

Been wanting to do this for ages - i`ve created the core from 4 x 3mm layers of Corecell, then glassed them together using 2 x 9oz layers and then a layer of 2oz glass on each side. Then epoxied it all together in a vacuum.

Here`s the pics so far - hoping to get it finished early next week! Can`t wait to try it (or see how long it take sbefore it snaps - i hope not!

Rocker table -

Foam partially cut out - i used templates for these that i made -

Glassing the layers together under vacuum -

After glassing the top layers on -

Unfortunately, the vacuum pump broke towards the end of the final layers going on, so there was a couple of patchs on the edge that didn`t laminate properly so i`ve sanded these back and will reglass them tonight.

After that, its on with the top hot coat and bolting the bits on!

Can`t wait :mrgreen:
mike.s

Re: Board of no wind!

Postby nickgrant » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:25 pm

I like the design. Any way you can smooth those steps out though?

Remember my plywood board from about 4 years ago? http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=albuq44

nickgrant

Postby mike.s » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:05 pm

nickgrant wrote:I like the design. Any way you can smooth those steps out though?

Remember my plywood board from about 4 years ago? http://gallery.kiteforum.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=albuq44

my next one is going to made partially from wood, but looking at that, i`m not sure if i have enough paving stones!
mike.s

Postby harbourdasher » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:12 pm

Nice looking board Mike.That vac bagging looks a bit fiddly,I think I`ll stick to traditional glassing myself!
harbourdasher

Postby JGTR » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:23 pm

Real nice board :-D

How does the final cost compare to buying a mass produced board? Have always wanted to build my own board but as I have snapped quite a few production boards I'm not sure I'd be able to build one strong enough :roll:

Jay
JGTR

Postby david_hazell » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:22 pm

nickgrant wrote:I like the design. Any way you can smooth those steps out though?

It doesn't look like the sort of design that would float very well...
david_hazell

Postby mike.s » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:14 pm

the vacuum bagging isn`t as fiddly as you might think. once you`ve got the equipment - i.e - old fridge pump (that ideally doesn`t break :roll: !), and the vacuum material, etc - its just a case of once its glassed, just stick it in the bag, seal it off and switch the pump on - everything then sucks down and you get a really good glassing. - hopefully get the board down the beach one evening this week, so i`ll have to show you it rob :-)

i reckon, the cost is probably a quarter of normal board, that includs all basic materials, ie, epoxy, fibre glass, foam (expensive) / wood (cheaper) and some 2nd hand pads, straps, fins - i think i`ll need to make quite alot of board before i get to the standard of factory ones though!

going to hotcoat the top of the board tomorrow night, so hopefully will get to ride it later this week :-)
mike.s

Postby delouben » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:19 pm

mike.s wrote:the vacuum bagging isn`t as fiddly as you might think. once you`ve got the equipment - i.e - old fridge pump (that ideally doesn`t break :roll: !), and the vacuum material, etc - its just a case of once its glassed, just stick it in the bag, seal it off and switch the pump on - everything then sucks down and you get a really good glassing. - hopefully get the board down the beach one evening this week, so i`ll have to show you it rob :-)

i reckon, the cost is probably a quarter of normal board, that includs all basic materials, ie, epoxy, fibre glass, foam (expensive) / wood (cheaper) and some 2nd hand pads, straps, fins - i think i`ll need to make quite alot of board before i get to the standard of factory ones though!

going to hotcoat the top of the board tomorrow night, so hopefully will get to ride it later this week :-)

Mate this is amazing! I wish I had the know how... I just want to retire and spend the days building my own kites and boards... or find a friend who does it and sell these for him.

Good on you! be proud!
delouben

Postby mike.s » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:56 pm

thanks - finally got time to finish it tonight - testing out tomorrow!

next time, i`ll definitely lap the fibre glass on the rails as i had a nightmare with the top and bottom not coming together properly. i ended up having to fill the rails with epoxy which caused loads of dribbles down the board which took ages to sand off!

i also should have put the inserts in flush with the top of the foam. i protruded them by 1mm thinking the glass and eposy would take this up but they sit a bit proud but no one `ll see this with the pads on.

anyway, here`s pics - the asthetics are a bit rough which is why i haven`t sanded it to a polished finish but its only a first board. i`m really pleased with it :mrgreen: my main worry is it snapping when i land a jump or something - but i`ll have to wai and see how it goes!

mike

oh, also need to get some matching 50mm fins for the toeside edge as i nicked the ones off my skimboard and they`re odd!
mike.s

Postby mike.s » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:50 am

well, i spent all weekend riding the board and i`m well pleased ! :mrgreen:

it rides really well, pops, jumps lands jumps, didn`t snap and i came off the water with a big smile on my face! even landed some first rotations with it which i`d never tried before! sounds a bit weird but the spray of water that comes from under the board seemed to be jetting out realyl smoothly too - never realyl thought about that before

the only gripe i think i can find is that when going one direction, a jet of water emits from behind one heel straight into my ankle on the back foot - i must have a slightly different profile to rail there or something from where i shaped it. had a look and they looked the same to be honest though! thats just a niggle really.

next one i do, im going to see if i can get some better looking graphics going i think. also, i may use a combination of wood and foam.
mike.s

Postby North_Wind » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:54 am

Looks like a fantastic job - really neat.

BA
North_Wind

Postby delouben » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:51 am

mike.s wrote:well, i spent all weekend riding the board and i`m well pleased ! :mrgreen:

it rides really well, pops, jumps lands jumps, didn`t snap and i came off the water with a big smile on my face! even landed some first rotations with it which i`d never tried before! sounds a bit weird but the spray of water that comes from under the board seemed to be jetting out realyl smoothly too - never realyl thought about that before

the only gripe i think i can find is that when going one direction, a jet of water emits from behind one heel straight into my ankle on the back foot - i must have a slightly different profile to rail there or something from where i shaped it. had a look and they looked the same to be honest though! thats just a niggle really.

next one i do, im going to see if i can get some better looking graphics going i think. also, i may use a combination of wood and foam.

Thinking of selling these babies now?

I'd love to get a manual or something on how to make one...
delouben

Postby mike.s » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:04 am

maybe after i`ve made a few more, i might look into selling a couple now and them, but there no where near good enough to be selling yet! it might ride well, but it looks a bit rough - need a few more prototypes first!

for advice on making them - i just looked in the board making forum on kiteforum and also swaylocks (more surfboard orientated but has lots of good info on glassign, etc). loads of info out ther eon the internet!
mike.s

Postby gillstah » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:21 am

nice work!

if you make a airush hammer copy i'd happily test it and perhaps purchase it from you - not fussed about looks (in fact i like the basic all over white look).

paul.
gillstah

Postby tRodders » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:51 am

Looks absolutely quality, I actually like the minimal graphics!

I was being put off by the price of corcell but after seeing your pictures I really want to give it ago. I wont be using a vacuum though so will have to see how that turns out!

How much resin did you use for the whole build and where did you find the bindings and fins in the end?
tRodders

carved.de

Next

Return to Board enquiries and info.