How to avoid being dropped like a stone on small kites

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
Jay_k

How to avoid being dropped like a stone on small kites

Postby Jay_k » Tue May 19, 2015 10:20 am

Hi Guys,

what are your top tips on not dropping like a stone into the sea after going big on small kites?

My small kite is 7m Vegas. And last night had some lovely jumps on it - getting some really good height but I always seem to send it too far back and them am left hurtling down towards the sea at a ridiculous rate.

Last night I belly flopped from a 30 + footer and it still hurts today! :lol: I think I would have cried if I wasn't laughing at the spectacle of it all.

I never (rarely) seem to have a problem on my 9m Fuel. But these massive wipeouts hurt more and more these days. Must be getting old!

Cheers guys - my bruised ribs thank you in advance!

Share This

JGTR

Re: How to avoid being dropped like a stone on small kites

Postby JGTR » Tue May 19, 2015 11:10 am

If you loop the kite at the top of the window as you are on the way down you'll get a nice bit of lift and a smooth and easy landing. Google/search heliloop, it's a widely used technique.

Dragnfly

Postby Dragnfly » Tue May 19, 2015 11:58 am

It helps a great deal if you keep the kite moving, rather than just leaving it sitting at 12. Give it a bit of wang left and right a few times and it will slow your descent a lot.

matt_s
Antispam: No

Postby matt_s » Tue May 19, 2015 12:58 pm

sounds like you've identified the problem - sending the kite too far back. You're probably getting an awesome rip off the water but then no power in the kite as you pendulum under it and drop like a rock. Keep power on at the bar, & start re-directing gently with your front hand sooner to get the kite above you then on your way down pull hard with your front hand to do a heli loop or a down loop will slow your descent and make sure you're moving forward at a decent speed to ride away.

Jay_k

Postby Jay_k » Tue May 19, 2015 2:28 pm

Nice one guys!

Exactly right Matt_s. I go wanging up then pendulum under and don't land with any speed.

ok so i'll try not to send it too far back - if i do get it back quickly then I'll look into downlooping / helilooping. I'm always a bit scared of throwing in loops as that usually leads to even greater pain - but here it sounds like the thing to do.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

James

matt_s

Postby matt_s » Wed May 20, 2015 5:06 pm

:-D

a downloop on the way down is nothing like a kiteloop (which still scare the bejeesus out of me every time I do one lol) it's just like someone putting the brakes on your freefall. When you get the timing right you land really, really softly but with enough forward speed to ride straight out feeling like a legend 8)

skymankite

Postby skymankite » Wed May 20, 2015 9:01 pm

can someone tell me what a down loop is? have heard before and sounds useful. kite loops just look too scary!

JGTR

Postby JGTR » Wed May 20, 2015 11:32 pm

skymankite wrote:can someone tell me what a down loop is? have heard before and sounds useful. kite loops just look too scary!

With a kiteloop you loop the kite upwards and across the top of the window (eg travelling left foot forward loop kite clockwise). A down loop you loop the kite downwards and across the bottom of the window (eg travelling left foot forward loop kite anti clock wise). When coming down from a big jump with the kite at 12 if you down loop the kite it will give you a softer landing, as the kite is at 12 it doesn't have much power, just loop it nice and tight. You can actually loop it either way in this scenario will have same affect. Loops used to cushion big jumps are often called heli loops as you loop the kite high above you like helicopter blades giving a similar effect.

matt_s

Postby matt_s » Thu May 21, 2015 10:54 am

skymankite wrote:can someone tell me what a down loop is? have heard before and sounds useful. kite loops just look too scary!

To put it in a very simplistic way (to remember when on the water :wink: ) a kiteloop you pull with your back hand & downloop with your front hand.

skymankite

Postby skymankite » Thu May 21, 2015 7:29 pm

cheers - nicely explained -- will report how i get on... when there is wind...hmmmm :roll:

hoxton

Postby hoxton » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:31 am

matt_s wrote::-D

a downloop on the way down is nothing like a kiteloop (which still scare the bejeesus out of me every time I do one lol) it's just like someone putting the brakes on your freefall. When you get the timing right you land really, really softly but with enough forward speed to ride straight out feeling like a legend 8)

Shameless plug I wrote a blog post about down loops and how to use them to save yourself from a fast descent.

My Article about kiteloops

Share This

Return to “Technique”