Hazards @ Humberston Beach

Posting useful info about your region... please read.
chipmunk
Location: I have been sober for 24 hours. errr sorry.. wrong forum

Hazards @ Humberston Beach

Postby chipmunk » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:34 pm

Hazards @ Humberston

My Knowledge base
I started riding in the waters around Cleethorpes and Humberston in 1975
on Windsurfers (ex PBA World cup rider) and now Kitesurf so you could say I do have some knowledge of the hazards.

Location:- Humberston Beach this is inside Thorpe Park Holiday Camp and the beach can get crowded with holiday makers in the summer.

Humberston is on the shore line of the river Humber which is a busy major shipping lanes feeding Grimsby and Immingham and the port of Hull not forgetting the oil and gas terminals at Tetney

The link shows live movement of shipping around the UK
http://www.shipais.com/
http://www.shipais.com/currentmap.php?map=Humber

Local by laws agreements with the council
Do not to ride in front of the leisure centre and to the north side of it
Follow the kitesurfers codes of conducts as agreed with the North East Lincolnshire Council, its advisable that you carry proof of your Kitesurfing insurance when visiting
the beach

The buggy zone is 300 meters to the left of the public zone. Kitesurfing launch / landing zone 200 meters to the left of the public zone
Unfortunately sometimes buggy’s ride in the kitesurf / public zone

The Beach Safety Officer will be patrolling the beach in a yellow Land Rover if you need to report an accident or incident .
New for 2009
Beach Type:- {Sand, Mud, Shells]

Shore Hazards:- Groins, Segregated Areas, Holiday Makers ,Children ,Dogs
Fishermen, illegal fishing nets
The nets are generally found around the wrecks
The Environment Agency.
Will have no hesitation in prosecuting any person responsible for illegal fishing and fines of up to £2,500.
Environment Agency’s 24-hour incident hotline on 0800 807060
Slippery mud surface at the edge of the creek

Water Type :- small waves , flat water

Low Water Hazards :- (mooring boys, sailing club boats, shipwrecks, strong rips steel post and steel piling next to the fort
ImageImage
Two old wood shipwrecks opposite Buck Beck
ImageImage
The Steel Shipwreck & Steel Post
Got a nice hole in my board On a positive note at least it wasnt in Me
Standing at the egress to the beach at 11 o clock there is a Steel Post and a large steel shipwreck at 1 o clock you will see Bull Sands fort there is a line of steel piling there.

Incoming tides are fast there are a lot of sand banks and the water will come around them and you may not see it happening ,the current will get strong, very strong it can knock you over if you are standing in the creek and will wash you down to the sailing club.
Stay away from sailing club boats
Don’t fight the rip it will kill you go with it use your board to steer you back to
the beach if you have lost your kite

Outgoing tide in the creek if you lose your board get to the sand bank and run down it
get well in front of the board before going back in the water
We have had some board washed out to the sea
Wildlife:- Don’t be surprised if you see some seals popping up in front of you from time to time mostly harmless but if you see a bull seal get away from them as they are aggressive in the breeding season
The Grey Seal Colony

The British population of grey seals is of great international conservation importance and we are fortunate to have a thriving colony on the Lincolnshire coast.
during the winter they come to breed near the dunes at Donna Nook
RAF Donna Nook make every effort to make sure that no harm comes to any animal because of military activity. The Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust manages Donna Nook as a Nature Reserve with the agreement of the Ministry of Defence.

Other Hazards:- To the south is Donna Nook ,Ministry of Defence still maintains part of the area as a bombing target range and ( Under no circumstances should anyone enter the bombing area when red flags are flying. )

Tuesday 24th June 2008
Unfortunately we have had an incident with a kite buggier on the beach
He did a speed turn right in front of a woman walking her dog and lost it the buggy then hit her. She had to go to A&E fortunately for her the leg was not broken

The kite buggier did stop to talk to her after he’d got his kite back which had been blown down the beach.

Beach Safety were involved and apparently will be viewing it through formal eyes
Rob Chalmers (Resort Manager)

One person ruining it for everyone else, if you see unsafe / stupid behaviour ’have a word’ or tell Beach Safety

Unfortunately the Google map is out of date by at least 3 years
The sandbanks are constantly moving and the tide is in hiding some of the hazards which are not visible

Its not all bad it can be a great place to ride but remember there are other riders out there as well as you.

Hope this was helpful

Kitesurfing Lessons IKO/BKSA Instructor Ring Steve 0787 6340088
Last edited by chipmunk on Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Share This

ChrisB

Re: Hazards @ Humberston Beach

Postby ChrisB » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:29 am

As per the PM i sent you last week, Humberston has been added to Kite-sites.com and the majority of the hazards have been updated :-D

http://www.kite-sites.com/?JumpTo=2056

It's a shame some of the googlemap images are a little fuzzy in this area :(

chipmunk

Postby chipmunk » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:03 pm

chipmunk

Postby chipmunk » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Kite buggy’s at Cleethorpes.

Been asked a question about kite buggy’s at Cleethorpes

In summer the buggy zone is 300 meters to the left of the public zone. kitesurfing launch / landing zone 200 meters to the left of the public zone
The buggy zone goes down to the leisure centre

Really simple just use commonsense if there is a lot of people on the beach go to the left side of the beach

Share This

Return to “Regional Input wanted...”