Boardworx Best

Shinn – 2011 – product info, demo and feedback thread......

Product news and press releases from supporting industry members.
(This section is now open for discussion)

Shinn – 2011 – product info, demo and feedback thread......

Postby Mike B » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:36 am

Shinn_Logo.jpg
Shinn_Logo.jpg (35.34 KiB) Viewed 3759 times

Welcome to the start of a thread that will cover the full 2011 product range from Shinn. For us, the 2011 year started with the release of the Monk some six weeks ago, and it could not have gone better. You’ll find the entire Monk Thread here; http://www.kiteboarder.co.uk/kitesurfing/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=41528 but sufficed to say that it broke boundaries not only with our traditional design convention, but also with the level of feedback received by you.

This thread has grown in size, and so I have come back here to add a legend to it for all of you who are reading for the first time. It's a fantastic independant resource, and just so you know, everyone who has contributed has bought boards (aside the magazine) - there are no paid riders or sponsored riders.. it's all public feedback.

Page one - product info, Monk Test, and early feedback
Page two - Gintronic and Monk first feedback
Page three - King George, Toyboy, Duke (surfboard) info and Monk Feedback.
Page four - Monk Feedback
Page five - Monk feedback, general chat
Page six - Kiteworld Gin Test, general chat
Page seven - Start of Luigi II feedback
Page eight - Monk vs Luigi vs Gin chat
Page nine - Luigi Chat and comparisons
Page ten - Stance, Flex and Toyboy chat
Page eleven - King George feedback and Toyboy feedback.

In the immediate pages you will read about the 3 new Twin Tips that are about to be released, two of which are based on Monk technology, which should be just as revolutionary in their target discipline as their sibling.

In the coming months we will have a new range of Surfboards. The Duke is finally landing; a range of surfboards. A industry long collaboration between one of the finest European shapers and one of the sports pioneering surf style riders, Jo and Mark have been making boards with each other for 14 years! I have followed their designs with replica custom boards of my own during this time and their shapes are exemplary. Having production boards from these two is something special ad I look forward to it.

The rest of the range will drop into place through the year with releases leading up to the first of the 2012 boards when the Monk is superceeded at the end of next year.

We will be running a demo program through the UK in the coming season, so please contact me if you have interest in trying one of these boards and I will see what I can do.

For now, please, read on…

This season starts with the Four main twin tips; spearheaded by the Monk it’s a totally new range designed from the ground up which promises to be a major part of the industry in the coming months.

hut.jpg
hut.jpg (95.43 KiB) Viewed 3759 times

http://www.shinnworld.com
mike@ktwodistribution.com
Last edited by Mike B on Thu May 05, 2011 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Re: Shinn – 2011 – product info, demo and feedback thread...

Postby Mike B » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:48 am

The Monk.. feral performance..

Let me start by quoting kiteworld's test from issue 50, which is quite simply stunning.

here is a quote from the test that sums it up.

This is a dream board. Intermediates jumping on this wont understand just how good it is and how lucky they are to have one, but anyone who has owned a few twinnies will do. Boards often get better and better the flatter the water. This is just good at everything all the time.

Shinn Monk – kiteworld test issue 50.

The hype;
This is a freestyle board for the mere mortals among us. The monk offers untamed sailing without the limitations normally associated with this kind of riding. Hyperflex tips (created using shins new FS mould) and a new constant curve work together to create the easiest to access (yet limitless) ride ever seen. A Backdoor into the high performance world of kiteboarding or simply reality personified? You decide.

Test team notes;
First thoughts of the test team was that the Monk was going to be quite an average board for intermediate riders. Really robust, it looked and felt really big in the hands and had a huge gorillas face on the bottom. The looks on the faces of every one of them when they came in from their first run told a different story though. They just could not believe the performance they were getting from it. Starting with the pads and straps which are all new from Shinn, the pad itself is enormous, luxurious and very thick, slightly thicker in the heel than the toe, with an indent for grip. The pad is also thick and very easy to adjust with two velcro straps underneath the main top Velcro covering. Fitting the average mans foot very well, if you have small feet you can get grip but have to push your feet a little further in. (Please note that on the next delivery all boards are available with smaller straps if required) Super comfortable though and without any pinching on the sides of your feet either and the top strap offers huge coverage for virtually the whole of your foot.

The 135 gets up and going incredibly smartly, rides fast and soaks up any choppy lumps and bumps without a second thought. If you look at the outline of the board, its actually very wide in the middle, unlike a lot of modern square freestyle boards. This massively benefits the Monk in its carving ability. Combined with the flex pattern in the middle of the board, that wide section and more narrow tips means that you can really gouge a turn without catching the tips and the flex holds right the way through the turn, only pushing back seemingly when you are ready for it to do so when you have completed your carve, rather than spitting you out of your turn too early. There’s grip right through the turn, which perhaps doesn’t make for sliding from heel-to-toe as simple as on other boards but in every other aspect it’s hugely beneficial.
The Monk charges upwind like noting we’ve seen. With such good fluid and grippy carving abilities you also wouldn’t expect the monk to pop so well, but it really does. The relationship between the rocker, flex and stiffness in the tips provide a beautiful mix of newschool and freeride. Super fast but controlled to ride, when you load it up you get a fantastic punch off the water and then absorption on landing. Out of interest we got a few other riders on this and every one of them loved it, from our intermediate girlfriends, just learning to jump and carve, to seasoned freestylers visiting Capetown. No one had a bad word to say.

Summary
Shinny says this year instead of making mall incremental improvements he thought he’s experiment and start off at the extremes. He hasn’t given us any more information, but whatever he’s done it works. This is a dream board. Intermediates jumping on this wont understand just how good it is and how lucky they are to have one, but anyone who has owned a few twinnies will do. Boards often get better and better the flatter the water. This is just good at everything all the time.

KW liked; The subtle blend of new school pop with freeride comfort and agility

KW disliked; The Plastic spacers between the board and the head of the screw are quite weak. (these have since been replaced with bespoke shinn finwashers)

monk deckshot small email.jpg
monk deckshot small email.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 3756 times

top end Freeride / Freestyle crossover rrp £499
For me, this was a landmark for Master Shinn... A board suitable for all aggressive riders; those who like to charge around with their hair on fire. It's a board that is very easy to ride fast and hard in the worst conditions imaginable. If you are aggressive with your riding you will find nothing that gives as much performance, ease and comfort in the worst chop, soup and surf you can find, with NO spray in the face, NO back leg burn and NO knee pounding. You can sell it to anyone, it's so easy and comfortable to ride but encourages the rider to kite faster, carve harder, and you can ride like this for hours longer than a normal board... Suitable for both freestyle and freeride styles.

Shinn's official promo text;
This is a freestyle board for the mere mortals among us. The Monk offers untamed sailing without the limitations normally associated with this style of riding. Hyperflex tips (created using our new FS mould) and our new constant curve work together to create the easiest to access (yet limitless) ride ever seen. A back door into the high performance world of kiteboarding or simply reality personified….. you decide.

Rocker
Constant Radius – this rocker uses a constant radius curve through out it's length. Some years ago this rocker would have been considered to be slow to plane and poor upwind but advances in flex control, concave hull shapes and of course kites now mean it can be used to provide un-paralleled control, limitless grip and completely spray free riding in all conditions. The outline of your board works in conjunction with the rocker to define the way it will perform. Freestyle - This outline style features more curve radius between the feet leading into straighter, larger diameter curves in the tip and tail. On the water this translates into strong edge grip, aggressive POP and fast turning when applying pressure equally through both feet.

Core
What's inside your board will make a huge difference to how it performs and in keeping with every aspect of your Shinn board we use only the best on the inside, and that means wood – mostly!
No other core material offers the same blend of consistent flex over extended periods of time, feather like weight and near indestructible durability (not to mention environmental friendliness).
We say mostly because there are some other secret materials in there but we"re not going to give away all of our tricks!

Fins
All Shinn boards are supplied with high-grade G-10 fins.
G-10 is created by laminating multiple layers of glass cloth with Epoxy resin and allowing to cure under extreme conditions of pressure and heat. The resulting laminate is renowned for it"s high shear strength and impact resistance making it the best material for fin production. Hi visibility red pigments are added to the laminate during creation to ensure your board is easy to find in the water. Many suppliers coat the fins after shaping however this finish is susceptible to wearing off through repeated abrasion with sand. Shinn only uses Marine grade M6 INOX bolts for fixing the screws. The transparent deck washer the fin bolts mount through is designed to spread the load from the screw heads and protect your board in case of impact.

Width & length
Choosing your size.
Whilst many riders still look at the length of the board when choosing their size it's much more relevant to look at the width. The length of the board can be affected by the shaping of the tip and tail - which in reality plays little part in the performance of the board.To clarify the situation further the difference in surface area between a 130 x 40 and a 130 x 42 is approximately 260 cm2 whilst increasing the length of a 130 x 40 to 135 x 40 would give an increase in surface area of less than 200 cm2 – nearly 25% less.
All of our boards are available in multiple widths to allow you to find the perfect size for your weight, riding style and favoured riding conditions.

Summary
- The Monk features Constant Curve Rocker Template with dynamic concave
- Shinn FS deck mould with bi-axis tip flex
- Hand polished, high gloss UV resistant deck finish
- Sanded base for high efficiency
- Full range of widths for all size riders
- 53mm hi-visibility G10 fins with transparent deck mounting plates
- The Sneaker 3D adjustable footbed system (see section below)
-Spray free riding in all conditions
- Mostly Alabasia wood core

Sizes
126x38

128x39

130x40
132x41
135x42

135x44

Monk feedback;
"Super impressed with this board, it was super comfy through the crud, even with the knee. The board speed i was able to maintain felt awesome...
Loading up was effortless, no longer did i have to look for that perfect take off ramp or flat spot for trick initiation, I just pulled the trigger wherever i liked.
Landings felt good, even when I thought i was coming in sketchy. Didn't feel like i had those super hot sketchy bumpy landings where you normally have to go downwind for ages before you finally manage to get back on the edge. Just felt smooth!"

"Only managed to prise it from john for 15 MIns - but I have to say I wasnt enjoying the conditions much as it was neither wavey nor flat. This is the smoothest board ever - also superbly balanced front to back - hard to put your finger on but I reckon the sharp rails just slice thru the chop like its not there. I felt evry ripple on my thorn in comparison.I was seriously going 2x faster on the monk because it has the control - its like active suspension and traction control for a TT!
On a perfect Troon day - its great to see everyone going for their biggest biggest craziest move - this being a choppy nasty one, It was very apparent to me that everyone on the water had turned it down a notch or 2 as the conditions dictated - except John. My other observation would be that its got a nice bit of glide that a lot of boards just dont have. Looking forward to another wee shot in better conditions."

"Out today on my 130x40 Monk in up and down cross shore conditions with bumpy chop and first impressions of this board are it is SUPER SMOOTH. It really tamed the rough condtions and just made my session easier and more enjoyable with this being the main comments of others who tried it also, that and how easy you can dig in and push it just stupidly hard even in the rough.

I think this is why this is definately an intermediate to advanced board because it just asks, no it demands, that you go for it and even though there is loads of control and stability if you don't know what you are doing then you will soon find yourself fairly blazing along.... but if you can handle this then hit the right wave/kicker and it makes for easy huge grin inducing boosting. Landings are great as it all turns on fast with 'easy' smoothness and control and just makes you confident to go go go go so you pop to toeside, dig in lock the rail, downloop the kite and caaaaaaarve hard and it just grips and goes round - you can do this in big long arcs throwing spray or you can keep it tight and change direction in a blink with no dramas."

"I have just been out in another mentalist gusty bumpy session session on the Monk and loved it. As a mate tried it I was on his 133 ***** and I used to like this but everything just feels heavy, slow and unresponsive now – the Monk is awesome."

"Been out on the Monk 130 a bit now. Very, very smooth through chop - yes, it does feel slightly like you are hovering half an inch above the water :D I didnt notice much if any spray off the nose. The nose is hard to stuff into the water even if you get heavy on the front foot on landings. The fins feel quite big & the board tracks very well through the worst chop. There is heaps of grip, you can hold down loads of power to jump - it would take a LOT of wind to get pulled out of shape on this"

"I've been riding 8 years but I have to say I'm not techy and with previous boards I wouldn't have been able to say one board does anything radically better than the other. A few differences but not much. However, when I rode the Monk I was really impressed. Most of the reviews are spot on - it really is very grippy with the stock fins and lets you slash around like an idiot. It remains stable in all wind strengths and no spray, regardless of sea state. I was really impressed."

monk.jpg
monk.jpg (82.29 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Last edited by Mike B on Thu May 05, 2011 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Re: Shinn – 2011 – product info, demo and feedback thread......

Postby Mike B » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:00 pm

The new Luigi

luigi deck shot email.jpg
luigi deck shot email.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 3756 times

top end Freeride rrp £499
From a personal perspective the Luigi may well have gone further than the Monk - it's definately a stronger mainstream board... Using the same rocker and hull shape as the Monk it shares very similar characteristics. NO face spray at all, superbly comfortable in the worst conditions, and much more suited to mainstream freeride riders. Planing earlier it has a wider power range, it's better upwind, and it feels as happy at slow speeds as it feels at high speeds. After all the fuss over the Monk (and I was one of it's greatest fans) I do think the new Luigi is the better board for the mainstream rider; it's the same technology refined for people who do not kite at the ragged edge all the time. It's the board that Mark and I choose to take as one fits all board to ride in any condition. Again you can sell it to anyone - beginner to expert. We think that as successful as the Monk has been so far the new Luigi is a much better board for the vast majority, and is set as the board to define the 2011 range....

The Shinn official text;

Luigi.. our champion..
Luigi holds his head high in all company providing genuine high performance riding for those looking for high speed carving, huge jumping and no limits playful performance. If riding without restraint is your goal then Luigi is the man.
We’ve kept the FS9 mould which accurately controls the flex through the tail and we’ve kept the balanced outline that provides grip whilst allowing for high speed turns but all new is the adaption of the exaggerated constant curve rocker first seen on the Monk and a revised global flex pattern that cushions your ride without sacrificing performance.

Rocker
Luigi uses a variation on our constant curve rocker through out his length. Some years ago this rocker would have been considered to be slow to plane and poor upwind but advances in flex control, concave hull shapes and of course kites now mean it can be used to provide un-paralleled control, limitless grip and completely spray free riding in all conditions.
What's inside your board will make a huge difference to how it performs and in keeping with every aspect of your Shinn board we use only the best on the inside, and that means wood – mostly! No other core material offers the same blend of consistent flex over extended periods of time, feather like weight and near indestructible durability (not to mention environmental friendliness). We say mostly because there are some other secret materials in there but we"re not going to give away all of our tricks.
The 3D shaping of the deck moulds on all Shinn boards is a blend of functionality and form. Luigi features our FR9 mould, which has been developed to enhance comfort and control. The entire tail section of the board is allowed to flex in a pre-determined manner ensuring constant contact with the water and shock absorption for the rider even in the choppiest conditions whilst the central ridges reduce the torsional flex providing a surprising amount of POP for a free-ride board.

Constant curve.. we bend the rules...

So, how does it work and why do you need it?
If you’ve come this far you’ll want to read this.
Reason 1
Conventional rockers have multiple radiuses however our new design maintains a constant curve from tip to tail. As power increases and you load the rail you naturally transfer more weight to your back foot, the cc rocker contact with the water remains constant (unlike multiple radius versions) no matter how your balance is distributed between your feet, meaning no trim adjustment and no increase in leg pressure is needed – constant grip and constant power in all conditions.
Reason 2
The progressive concave flattens the centre of the board to enhance glide and efficiency when riding flatter in less powered conditions but leaves the rocker continuous at the rail where it’s needed for powered riding.
Reason 3
Massively increasing the lift in the extremes of the board has the added bonus of eliminating tip strike when riding in chop and that means no spray in the riders eyes – ever.

Fin
Luigi features our new 57 mm swept freeride fin. Using a swept profile allows us to move the fin further forward in the board for enhanced maneuverability whilst leaving the deepest part of the foil closer to the tail of the board for maximum grip. Built in hi-quality Epoxy G-10.

Width & length
Choosing your size.
Whilst many riders still look at the length of the board when choosing their size it's much more relevant to look at the width. The length of the board can be affected by the shaping of the tip and tail - which in reality plays little part in the performance of the board.To clarify the situation further the difference in surface area between a 130 x 40 and a 130 x 42 is approximately 260 cm2 whilst increasing the length of a 130 x 40 to 135 x 40 would give an increase in surface area of less than 200 cm2 – nearly 25% less.
All of our boards are available in multiple widths to allow you to find the perfect size for your weight, riding style and favoured riding conditions.

Summary
- Exaggerated Constant Curve Rocker
- Shinn FS9 3D mould and Dynamic Hull concave
- Balanced Outline for Versatile performance
- 57mm Hi-visibility G-10 swept free-ride fins
- Sneaker 3D adjustable footbed system
- Spray free riding in all condition
- Mostly wood core for performance and durability

Sizes available
128 x 39
130 x 40
132 x 42
134 x 44

RRP £499

luigi.jpg
luigi.jpg (116.94 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:08 pm

The Gintronic
email very small.jpg
email very small.jpg (46.58 KiB) Viewed 3756 times

Mainstream Freeride rrp £449
The Gintronic is actually the same hull, rocker and deckmould as the Monk, but it's internal flex pattern and outline shape has been tuned to make it the easiest board of the three to ride. Like the others it's superbly comfortable in the roughest waster and has the greatest power range, powering extremely early and powering upwind. It's a board that will forgive the most obvious riding mistakes and offers the most performance for the least amount of technique. Priced to compete with the mainstream twins around the £449 bracket it brings this technology eye to eye with the rest of the industry.

Shinn's official text;

Gintronic.. kiteboarding, made easy
The all new Gintronic is so ridiculously easy that some might call it cheating. Bi-lateral flex mould, exaggerated constant curve rocker, super tolerant outline, the Shinn Gintronic defies chop, flies upwind and planes on a summers breeze whilst all the time allowing you to think about what YOU want to do and not what your board ALLOWS you to do. This board refuses to be categorized, it’s not freestyle and it’s not freeride, can we call it the worlds first funride board? Directed towards any level of kiter who wants to ride and play, Gintronic fills a previously open slot in the Shinn range - with no strings attached.

Rocker
The Gintronic uses a variation on our constant curve rocker through out it's length. Some years ago this rocker would have been considered to be slow to plane and poor upwind but advances in flex control, concave hull shapes and of course kites now mean it can be used to provide un-paralleled control, limitless grip and completely spray free riding in all conditions.

Core
What's inside your board will make a huge difference to how it performs and in keeping with every aspect of your Shinn board we use only the best on the inside, and that means wood – mostly! No other core material offers the same blend of consistent flex over extended periods of time, feather like weight and near indestructible durability (not to mention environmental friendliness). We say mostly because there are some other secret materials in there but we"re not going to give away all of our tricks!

Deck Mould
The 3D shaping of the deck moulds on all Shinn boards is a blend of functionality and form. Our Squoval mould, first bought to you on the Monk, is designed to provide you with the ultimate in comfort and control. It's unique ovalized, central platform creates extreme amounts of tail flex through both axis yet maintains rigidity underfoot to ensure early planning performance and upwind ability are un-hindered. It's no wonder some testers call it the magic carpet

Constant curve rocker
We bend the rules... So, how does it work and why do you need it?
If you’ve come this far you’ll want to read this.
Reason 1
Conventional rockers have multiple radiuses however our new design maintains a constant curve from tip to tail. As power increases and you load the rail you naturally transfer more weight to your back foot, the cc rocker contact with the water remains constant (unlike multiple radius versions) no matter how your balance is distributed between your feet, meaning no trim adjustment and no increase in leg pressure is needed – constant grip and constant power in all conditions.
Reason 2
The progressive concave flattens the centre of the board to enhance glide and efficiency when riding flatter in less powered conditions but leaves the rocker continuous at the rail where it’s needed for powered riding.
Reason 3
Massively increasing the lift in the extremes of the board has the added bonus of eliminating tip strike when riding in chop and that means no spray in the riders eyes – ever.

Fin
The Gintronic features our new 57 mm swept freeride fin. Using a swept profile allows us to move the fin further forward in the board for enhanced maneuverability whilst leaving the deepest part of the foil closer to the tail of the board for maximum grip. Built in hi-quality Epoxy G-10.

Width & length
Choosing your size.

Summary
- Squoval mould for full contact control in all conditions
- Constant Curve Rocker with Progressive Concave
- Balanced outline in full range of widths
- 57 mm Hi-visibility G-10 swept freeride fins
- Sneaker 3-D adjustable footbed system
- Spray free riding in all condition
- Mostly Alabasia Wood core

Sizes
126 x 38
128 x 39
130 x 40
133 x 42
136 x 44
Gintronic.jpg
Gintronic.jpg (86.2 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:15 pm

The Player.. a new day
player deck shot email.jpg
player deck shot email.jpg (39.16 KiB) Viewed 3756 times

Text From Shinn;
Are you a Player? Are you obsessed with the latest moves? This decks ride is all about performance - both yours and it’s own.
The Player II is a story of refinement, a painstaking process of tweaking and modifying. The hallmarks of insane edge grip, super high board speeds and effortless planning are retained but added to the blend is increased global flex for comfort and control and an all new 3-stage rocker profile dramatically improving your aggressive POP and reducing unwanted tip spray. One word of warning though - If everything's under control, you're going too slow!

Rocker
Progressive – this rocker is used for high performance freestyle boards such as the Player. The curve radius is at it's greatest towards the centre of the board and then decreases as it progresses towards the tip and tail. When combined with a powerful outline and precise flex configuration this rocker demonstrates extreme speed and grip.

Core
What's inside your board will make a huge difference to how it performs and in keeping with every aspect of your Shinn board we use only the best on the inside, and that means wood – mostly! No other core material offers the same blend of consistent flex over extended periods of time, feather like weight and near indestructible durability (not to mention environmental friendliness). We say mostly because there are some other secret materials in there but we"re not going to give away all of our tricks!

Deck Mould
The 3D shaping of the deck moulds on all Shinn boards is a blend of functionality and form. FS7 Mould – featured on the new Player this mould is designed to provide the ultimate blend of POP and control. The area around the fins is able to flex ensuring comfort and grip when riding however the centre section of the tail has been stiffened to reduce loss of power when releasing from the water.

Fin
All Shinn boards are supplied with high-grade G-10 fins. G-10 is created by laminating multiple layers of glass cloth with Epoxy resin and allowing to cure under extreme conditions of pressure and heat. The resulting laminate is renowned for it"s high shear strength and impact resistance making it the best material for fin production. Hi visibility red pigments are added to the laminate during creation to ensure your board is easy to find in the water. Many suppliers coat the fins after shaping however this finish is susceptible to wearing off through repeated abrasion with sand. Shinn only uses Marine grade M6 INOX bolts for fixing the screws The transparent deck washer the fin bolts mount through is designed to spread the load from the screw heads and protect your board in case of impact.

Width & length
Choosing your size.

Summary
. Available in two color schemes: Sunset or Daybreak
. Progressive Curve Rocker Template with dynamic concave
. Shinn FS7 deck mould with increased POP
. Hand polished, high gloss UV resistant deck finish
. Sanded base for high efficiency
. Full range of widths for all size rider
. 53mm hi-visibility G10 fins with mounting plate
. The Sneaker 3D adjustable footbed system
. Spray free riding in all conditions
. Mostly Alabasia wood core

Sizes
131x39
133x40
135x42
137x44

RRP £499
player.jpg
player.jpg (76.08 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:23 pm

Sneakers.. foot plates and straps for a snug fit...

sneakers.jpg
sneakers.jpg (87.42 KiB) Viewed 3756 times

It’s a challenge to create one system that can be adapted to the needs and size of every rider (imagine one shoe designed for every foot) however through the careful use of memory foam inserts and 3D adjustment technology we’ve developed a system that will sculpt itself to your feet.
An almost impossibly plush feeling is provided through deep section EVA foam ensuring luxurious comfort even during the harshest landings.
The Sneaker foot strap allows you to fine tune not only the overall size of the unit but also the forward inclination ensuring the memory foam toe ridge can do it's job and provide for you the largest possible contact area and maximum security.
The Sneaker pad provides variable stance angles and it’s thermoformed profile will hold your foot in place no matter the scenario. After a short period of use the memory foam heel insert will have formed itself to where you stand on the pad. Your sneaker set is now custom shaped for you complete and ready for action.

Features :
- one size fits all, custom geometry
- super plush, deep section EVA memory foam 
- seamless surface for no hotspots
- variable stance options
- 3-D size and inclination adjustment.

sneakers info.jpg
sneakers info.jpg (177.83 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Richard H » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:14 pm

Mike,
Thanks for adding your personal opinions to the blurbs, it is valued.
The first question I'm gonna ask is in the vein of what you probably anticipate from many potential customers, but i'll dress it up so it isn't just "yo, Luigi or Monk?".

You state that in your opinion the luigi is the better board for most, as it adds low end etc. but surely it must then compromise a bit at the "ragged edge" compared to the monk due to less diamond shaped outline or whatever. Because if it is just "very much like the monk, but better upwind and in milder conditions too", then why bother having the two boards in the range when you could just merge them into the best of both, and let the gintronic and playerII pick up the alternate needs customers.

Being a major lover of insane Big air, and given that in UK channel conditions 30kt side/on = atrocious short seas, my top priority in a freeride/freestyle board is that it can hold speed and accelerate while being loaded to [my legs can't take it any more!] while not skipping and bouncing out or going squirrelly as I plow through the crap prior to launch. Key to this is nice even leg loading, which the otherwise speedy and popping 666/player style rocker of previous years wasn't so great on. with that in mind:

1. Monk looks like the obvious choice, but if there is very little in it, or the Luigi is perhaps more comfortable even, then would that be money better spent?

and secondly

2. Shinn boards typically have quite large fins as a brand, giving loadsa grip etc., but for those of us who grip just fine with a nice locked in edge, have you or anyone at Shinn tried these boards with smaller fins? I ask cause it is nice to have a freeride board that grips while edged/carved but is also fun for breaking loose when the edge is reduced, not to mention more forgiving on less than perfect landings in rough water. Would replacing the stock fins with smaller ones noticeably hurt "the ride"?

-Richard
Richard H

Postby John.B » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm

Richard,

I have not tried the new Luigi (did the old one) and I own a 130 Monk. The Monk IMO is unbeatable for control and speed in nasty chop and as I have said before it lets you hit those little ramps that you'd otherwise miss on a more skittish board and due to the acceleration and speed you can really boost. I think the amount of control and the speed it lets you generate in nasty conditions is what makes this board more advanced because if you can't coordinate and process it all you are going to find yourself belting along think WTF how do I stop!

Also like you I don't like the standard fins and I have tried a few different sizes - the ones from my waterbird were a load of fun and very skatey but just a little too small on some fast powered landings from S-Bends etc. I have had a set of 4cm Wainman fins on it and these for me are ideal - grippy when you want but you can break free easily and I can load and pop better with them on. The standard fins do really grip and you can toe-side carve like you are on rails; however with the smaller fins you still get great edge grip and as long as you maintain a bit of an edge you can still throw some buckets - the board has insane grip, but not that tramline effect of the 666 etc.

If you like to ride aggressively but not take the hammering for it then the Monk is the board you are looking for.

Laters

John
John.B

Postby Mike B » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Hey Richard...
It's a similar set of questions that I had when I last went to see Mark. I knew the rockers were the same and the boards were going to be similar, very similar I thought... Mark had spoken to me about range differentiation, but I was not so sure, so as soon as I had the chance I made myself try all 3 boards back to back... Doing this you can really tell the difference, and there is a big difference between them... To answer your questions...

Richard H wrote:You state that in your opinion the luigi is the better board for most, as it adds low end etc. but surely it must then compromise a bit at the "ragged edge" compared to the monk due to less diamond shaped outline or whatever. Because if it is just "very much like the monk, but better upwind and in milder conditions too", then why bother having the two boards in the range when you could just merge them into the best of both, and let the gintronic and playerII pick up the alternate needs customers.

Very true, I said the same, but in reality there is a significant difference - and it comes down to which side of the line your style sits.. They are both high end freeride boards, but there is a big difference in feel performance and ultimately the style of riders who will use them...

Monk is a more stable board at high speed in rough chop. So if you value the ability to ride faster, with more control than anyone else, load harder and jump higher than anyone else, then the Monk is clearly the choice... It's a better freestyle board too.

If your style is not centered around that ragged edge, and you value more feel, agility and performance under medium power then the Luigi II is this; it's a better board for the less aggressive style.

Richard H wrote:Being a major lover of insane Big air, and given that in UK channel conditions 30kt side/on = atrocious short seas, my top priority in a freeride/freestyle board is that it can hold speed and accelerate while being loaded to [my legs can't take it any more!] while not skipping and bouncing out or going squirrelly as I plow through the crap prior to launch. Key to this is nice even leg loading, which the otherwise speedy and popping 666/player style rocker of previous years wasn't so great on. with that in mind:

1. Monk looks like the obvious choice, but if there is very little in it, or the Luigi is perhaps more comfortable even, then would that be money better spent?

For you the choice is clear; Monk. It will let you ride with some much more speed and loading that your riding intensity will rise greatly, yet surprisingly leg burn is greatly reduced due to even pressure loading between front and back foot. Your style sounds like it visits the "ragged" edge very frequently out of choice, and this is where the monk will give you the best value for money... it's more than capable everywhere else too.. so I would say go for that... and it's just as comfortable, even more so when load levels really start to rise...
666 and player go squirrely at 60% of the monks loading capacity... Monk is in a different league.

Richard H wrote:and secondly

2. Shinn boards typically have quite large fins as a brand, giving loadsa grip etc., but for those of us who grip just fine with a nice locked in edge, have you or anyone at Shinn tried these boards with smaller fins? I ask cause it is nice to have a freeride board that grips while edged/carved but is also fun for breaking loose when the edge is reduced, not to mention more forgiving on less than perfect landings in rough water. Would replacing the stock fins with smaller ones noticeably hurt "the ride"?

Yes, they have tried no fins to stubs to 4cm to 7cm, and it is purely personal; The fins supplied are the average and easy for those who do not have a preference. I would encourage you to find a fin setup that works well for you... and your favorite fin set will feel different on every board; so have a play and don't be afraid to experiment. The boards feel will change with different fin setups, yet the monks performance is not fin related, so have a play....

happy to answer any more questions....
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:35 pm

John.B wrote:If you like to ride aggressively but not take the hammering for it then the Monk is the board you are looking for

You are right... I need to get you the Luigi II to test though! but when you can use it in the water and not in the snow. I have a feeling that you may end up siding with Luigi when the time comes.. ;-)

New boards have been delayed in the factory 5 days and finally leave the warehouse tomorrow... unfortunately that is not in time for the big day, but as soon as I have news I will forward the info of the drop date to all the dealers... sorry to all those waiting :-( I pushed as hard as I could...
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Richard H » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks for the great replies.
being 85kg, though not a fan of larger boards, I think the 132x41 looks to be the one!
Cheers
Richard
Richard H

Postby Mike B » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:10 pm

The Snowboards arrived in russia,
Thanks to my friend Oleg for the pictures... ours arrive tomorrow :-)

snowboards.jpg
snowboards.jpg (153.8 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

snowboard2.jpg
snowboard2.jpg (69.43 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

snowboard3.jpg
snowboard3.jpg (134.28 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Finally - due on the 22nd of december the next UK order arrives tomorrow. Those who have Monks on back order will be getting them shipped tomorrow...
8f56389772e3b07fdbaf5061dfbc1707.jpg
8f56389772e3b07fdbaf5061dfbc1707.jpg (103.67 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

8f56389772e3b07fdbaf5061dfbc1707.jpg
8f56389772e3b07fdbaf5061dfbc1707.jpg (103.67 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
Attachments
c1ff2f3c02a67cff338ab9f12b29508b.jpg
c1ff2f3c02a67cff338ab9f12b29508b.jpg (84.54 KiB) Viewed 3520 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby ronnie » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:57 am

Hi Mike,

Just a bit of feedback on the board descriptions.

I find them a bit hard to follow. Yours are better, but here is a lot of jargon in the Shinn ones, with new words - which seems a bit like the way they invent new words for washing powders. I would prefer plain English.

Your description of the Monk is quite good, and we have had rider feedback confirming a lot of it, plus a few other insights like how it helps you ride out a landing.

The new Luigi is written like it only has plus sides over the Monk. Planes earlier, wider power range, better upwind and happier at lower speeds and does all this without sacrificing performance.

It just seems that you have three boards for three different purposes, but you havent made it clear what each one loses compared to the others, just what is gained on the more recent ones.

I think the 41cm Monk will be a popular size, so I was expecting the new Luigi to come in that size too.

I have a bit of progressing to do before I would be interested in upgrading, but a 41cm Luigi would be a good step-up board, if the description is right.

First we just need some warm windy weather.

cheers,
Ronnie
ronnie

Postby Mike B » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:52 am

ronnie wrote:The new Luigi is written like it only has plus sides over the Monk. Planes earlier, wider power range, better upwind and happier at lower speeds and does all this without sacrificing performance.
It just seems that you have three boards for three different purposes, but you havent made it clear what each one loses compared to the others, just what is gained on the more recent ones.

Apprecaite the comments, agreed - there is a lot to convey, but in plainest english;

Monk - freestyle/freeride - very comfortable and incredibly stable when ridden with high power and bad chop - closest comparison - the jamie pro but better in high power situations and bad chop.

Luigi - freeride - has more range and feel at lower power levels, but not as capable as the monk when you ride with extreme power. closest comparison - the old shinn pro... but way more feel.

Gintronic -freeride - easiest of all to ride - especially for those who's technique has a few gaps here and there - but is less agile and composed when used aggressively - closest comparison - the T5, but easier in rough chop.

ronnie wrote:I think the 41cm Monk will be a popular size, so I was expecting the new Luigi to come in that size too.

I thought the same... I tried the 42 wide luigi and need to try the 40, I hear no news about a new 41 wide model though... There are 3 boards on their way up to John Barber in Troon - he will get out in the next week or so - will be interesting to see what he says, assuming his feet are warm enough to feel anything!! When the season kicks off I will have a demo fleet of these boards available for Forum and public demos.. so if you really are keen perhaps you try them to be sure... I'm extremely happy with the range for 2011.. his best work by far.

ronnie wrote:First we just need some warm windy weather.

next week my friend... 11 degrees and sw wind. It will feel like paradise, but I will believe it when I see it!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Ocean Rodeo

Next

Return to Trade Expo