Boardworx 500

The new SHINN thread for 2013 - a new season...

Product news and press releases from supporting industry members.
(This section is now open for discussion)

The new SHINN thread for 2013 - a new season...

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 am

shinn 2013smaller.jpg
shinn 2013smaller.jpg (190.01 KiB) Viewed 2195 times

Welcome to Kiteboarder's Shinn thread for 2013.

Another year on in the sport and I thought that last year's into is just as apt as anything new I could write. We have had a great year again, on and off the water, and I'd like to think that our product comes partly from our active interest in the sport on a personal level, for like many of you, there is nothing more motivating than what is possible tomorrow. So, Just like last year, I'd like to thank all of you who have visted these threads over the past few years. Thanks for all the discussions, enthusiasm and chat through the many months. Shinn is a worldwide brand no doubt, but it's roots come from the UK in the form of the chief designer. It's strongest foothold in the industry came from the UK, so it falls to me to thank all of you for reading, testing, enthusing and spreading the word about Shinn brand to all who care to listen. So, to all of you who have read, demo'ed, contributed and now perhaps even own a Shinn board, I thank you all.

For those of you new to the brand, I feel a brief intro is in order, for it's all well and good assuming that everyone knows our history, but the ranks of kitesurfers are growing weekly and not everyone knows where we came from, so here's a quick lowdown; Mark Shinn is a professional Kiteboarder, starting his career back when the sport first started in 1998. By 2002 he was double world champion, the leading rider in our sport for two solid seasons. After this, Mark started to push his knowledge and experience towards design, working with Naish and the heading Nobile before starting his own company in 2009. He's been responsible for a huge chunk of shaping technology within the industry.

The past threads? They are still in the Forum archives, and when you search for Shinn product within the BB they will arise, and I will build links to the more relevant parts through the first few pages here, but it's time for a new thread as in late April 2013 we will have a number of new boards in stock, and the new season needs a new start. Shinn don't release all boards in one go, with 2-3 releases a year, but this is the time to start the thread again..

The specifics on the new range I will add in specific posts below, but there is change. The Monk Forever has been the cornerstone of the range since it's introduction in autumn last year, but we have new concept boards in the Speedball, two new womens boards, a new dundee, and a new mainstream freeride board in the RED. I doubt there will be anything else new until the Autumn of this year after this spring launch...

My personal history with the forum and the products I represent is based very much around neutrality, and while I will express opinions, they will be the truthful, for recommending something that is not ahead of the curve is no way to encourage future trust, or build the successful brands that we want to be a part of.. It's also true that brands make equipment that suit some parts of the world and not others, that said, as Shinn came from the UK, and has a chief testing location that is very similar to our UK conditions, we are blessed in that the vast majority of the range is ideally suited to the kind of riding and conditions we encounter all year round.

Roll on 2013!

http://www.shinnworld.com

range scroll.jpg
range scroll.jpg (228.44 KiB) Viewed 2195 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Re: The new SHINN thread for 2013 - a new season...

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:03 am

The Monk Forever

Arguably the most important board to come from the shinn range so far, the Monk forever is a quantifiable step forward from a board that really did redefine twin tips for large section of riders. The original monk was hugely stable under high loadings. It's speed was legendary, and from this came huge jumping ability and the ability to look like you are absolutely charging, when in fact, life aboard the Monk was very civilised. The truth is that the original like the new Monk has such a comfy stance with near 50/50 weight distribution that is it a joy to ride, with absolutely minimal stress on the body for hour after hour, flat out! The other two stand out features of the Monk are it's ability to deal with chop. It is simply stunning in rough water and a joy to all sore knees. A combination of cutting through, allowing you to seamlessly adjust stance without overloading a leg or unsettling trim, and remaining totally stable makes chop seemingly disappear. The second is it's ability to carve. While toeside is solid for a twin, the heel side bite of the Monks is simply stunning. You can put up walls of water, holding the kind of bite that will put a surfboard to shame.
The new Forever version of the monk adds a better low end drive throughout the range allowing you to get going earlier and have a bit more upwind ability. I'd say that you could drop a size from the old range to the new without losing any lightwind performance, but my advice would be stick to your size and enjoy the extra range. The second thing to change is the feel of the larger sizes. Simply put the larger monks have been tuned into the weights of their riders more.. so the bigger boards feel to the heavier riders the same as the smaller boards did for the lighter riders. The range has no weakspot now, and it's hard to see where it is going to go next as the board is as near perfect as we have seen. The new boards also comes with a 2 year warranty...

Sizes
128 x 39
130 x 40
132 x 41
134 x 42
136 x 44

http://www.shinnworld.com/#!monk-forever/c1reb

Available in two colour ways;
MONKFOREVERforum.jpg
MONKFOREVERforum.jpg (198.11 KiB) Viewed 2193 times

forum mf 1.jpg
forum mf 1.jpg (125.73 KiB) Viewed 2193 times

forum mf 2.jpg
forum mf 2.jpg (101.39 KiB) Viewed 2193 times

Some feedback;

ob1857 wrote:Just to add my opinion. I was riding a North X-Ride 136cm before I decided to upgrade to the New Monk Forever. Might I say it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. I am just over 80kgs and about 5'11". I decided to go for the 132cm Monk Forever and I have never had a problem with getting up even in light wind. I too was a little unsure with going so small in length in comparision to my previous boards but the advice that Mike and Richie gave me was spot on!!!
The board is quite simple amazing. Awesomely smooth even in the most choppy conditions, brilliant pop, soft landings the list goes on.
Excellent board with excellent service!!!!

TheOtherGuy wrote:Took the MF out for its first session today and very impressed with the board. After talking to Mark, my local distributor and Shinn USA I went with the 134/42 sizing. Conditions were average chop and very patchy/gusty wind. It took me a little while to get dialed into the board but once the memory foam had compressed a bit and I realised just how hard it was to make the board break out it really began to shine. Especially in the gusts it amazed me how I could just keep pushing more weight through the heel and it would just stay locked to the water. Cliche as it sounds, between the pads and the the board it really did feel like it was "on rails" even at high speed. Really smooth ride through the chop and feels very 'planted' in the landings. And they're not kidding about the non-spray tips, didn't experience any spray at all. Nice change from my old board which left my sinuses sparkling clean after every session! And to top it off I really like the retro styling too. Initially I wondered if the board could really measure up to all the hype but it really does seem to. Looks like the only weak link in the system now is me! :P

Kiteforum wrote:Got my 135x44 sent to Taiwan just in time for Xmas thanks to my dealer's help, so off to the beach today 28 gusting 35 knots (measured), shoulder height fun waves, 90Kg rider, on North Rebel 5m. The board is way beyond my expectations!
It has so many standout features - I've never been on a board that does so many things so well. Fast, great upwind, spray in face non existent, beautiful in the flats, chop and on wave. No hint of pearling even on steep wave. The standout is the ability to glide on the wave face on wave power, so it keeps speed up to bottom turn or do stuff on the wave face like nothing else I've tried before (that includes the Mako 150). It turns, slashes and rips in every conceivable combination on wave face - it felt like an extension of my body. Rail to rail, long drawn front foot bottom turns or snappy back foot turns, fast or slow - it all comes effortlessly. Sliding by flattening out the board was super easy and never caught an edge. Pop was enough for my needs. Landings from jumps were super smooth. Schlogging slowly waiting to catch the wave was very comfortable and acceleration to catch it if I was late was excellent.
Gusts measured at 35 knots, the board never felt big at all - I think the size vs. weight list on the Shinn website really are the right combos, even if they look unusual.
Straps and pads excellent as noted on other Shinn reviews.
Overall I think this is a really well thought piece of kit, with each little bit of the board working well to deliver a ton of fun and performance over a very wide range of conditions. Thank you Santa!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:50 pm

Dundee version II

The Dundee is Shinn's high end freeride board and it has won a lot of fans over the last year. Smooth as silk, huge neutral power range, near 50/50 weight distribution through the legs and very compliant without feeling soft and squishy. Many speak of the boards ability to produce a lot of feedback to the rider and I'd agree. It's very tactile to ride - you get a lot of information back, very much an experts board, but it has such comfort and ease that a beginner could get to grips with it easily. The board feels a lot smaller than you would think - so many ride a cm wider than they normally would - and enjoy a very wide power range.
It's very good in the carve, very nimble underfoot, and if the Monk is the board you take for power riding the dundee is the board for those more concerned with technique instead of pouring aggression on their riding. The Dundee will throw all you car to at it, but it's far more enjoyable with a subtle hand than one that wields the hammer! The new model for 2013 is more of a graphical change than a technology change. Credit to the Shinn team, they don't change things that they cannot improve upon just for the sake of changing it, a philosophy that served them well during the first 2 years of the monk..

shinn wrote:Meet a superstar
Solid - manoeuvrable & swift
​The board that goes everywhere, Dundee’s fame is built around it’s easy control and comfortable use, but it’s not afraid to show it’s teeth when pushed. Shorter and wider than comparable boards Dundee laps up waves, rips huge air and relishes in high speed carving – and all in conditions other boards would stutter in. "An ultra tolerant board which inspires great confidence from it’s user, whatever the conditions Dundee will surprise you time and time again."

Sizes
129 x 39.5
131 x 41
133 x 42
135 x 44

Here is a Board test on the Dundee in Kiteworld..
http://kiteworldmag.com/2012-board-tests/shinn-dundee-133/

The link to the Dundee webpage on Shinnworld;
http://www.shinnworld.com/#!dundee/cfpt

V1_DUNDEE13forum.jpg
V1_DUNDEE13forum.jpg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 2175 times

forumdd2.jpg
forumdd2.jpg (108.44 KiB) Viewed 2175 times

fourmdd1.jpg
fourmdd1.jpg (188.91 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:12 pm

Speedball

It's been a while since Mr Shinn threw convention out of the window, and the Speedball does that certainly. Right now there are two boards in the warehouse waiting for the snow to melt, so until I try them I will not have a clear enough opinion to describe to you what they do in my own words. Until then you'll have to put up with a summary of all the digging I have done so far... Is it a freeride board, well yes and no. Does it replace the Dundee? NO - it's completely different. Is it a wave twin, no, but it does work well in the waves. Is it a lightwind board, NO but it does work very well in lightwinds.
There are a thousand questions, and once I try it I will have an opinion. What's most interesting is the fact that the active rail length looks VERY short. The tip area of the board is minute. The Rocker is CC and similar to the monk, as too is the concave, so there is some DNA in there that is proven.. Also there are no sizings listed other than W16 and W18. The reason for his is because the numbers are not normal. If we were given the numbers, we would start making judgements due to our own experience in the sport, and that is one thing that sets the speedball apart from everything else. it's not bound by the normal rules. W

hen I try one I'll meaure it, but then I will have the knowledge of what it does to try and explain along with the dims what is going on....
The two sizes are also interesting - I asked if they were for 2 different weights, the answer it seems is no. Mark is 90kg and he like both equally. He said that really small riders (60kg) don;t seem to fins the concept works as well for them, but anyone of normal weight is liking both boards, though most will plump for the smaller ones... Intriguing!

shinn wrote:SPEEDBALL - Game changer
​Outside the box; created to make freeriding more dynamic than it’s ever been before. (Every once in a while a revolution comes along... ) Speedball doesn’t fit into any other category of twin tip. Maybe better to ask what it’s not, it’s not limited to one riding style, it’s not limited to a certain wind range and it won’t disappoint you no matter what day you ride it. Speedball is not just a game changer, it’s a whole new way of looking at the water. “This one is the new kryptonite, yes, try it before you buy it if you like, but buy it you will... I did””

Sizes
W16
W18

Shinn's speedball info;
http://www.shinnworld.com/#!speedball/c1rvt

V1_SPEEDBALL13frm.jpg
V1_SPEEDBALL13frm.jpg (199.28 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

IMG_9941frm.jpg
IMG_9941frm.jpg (150.96 KiB) Viewed 2172 times

IMG_2844frm.jpg
IMG_2844frm.jpg (177.98 KiB) Viewed 2172 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Red

Released last week to replace the Gintronic, the Red is the easiest to use board in the Shinn lineup. It's flexible, has wide tips, excels at early planing and is very good upwind. There is plenty of rocker to keep it high and dry, and like all of the shinn boards it is superbly efficient for the comfort and control it offers. The RED is priced aggressively this year. Don't let that fool you - it's very bit as technologically advanced as it's siblings, finished in the same materials and with the same attention to detail. While the Dundee will appreciate a more aggressive rider, the RED will give more back to the less aggressive rider too, and if you are fond of the smoothest and easiest time on the water then the RED is the one to go for. Like it's predecessor the Gintronic, the RED is a great fun board to use. It allows you to get away with a great deal of mistakes and is ideal for generally clarting around on, where many other boards would buck you off in a heartbeat..

shinn wrote:RED - Less is more
Who needs the fancy Shinn-y designs. RED is our new super all-rounder; designed as a do everything, RED will take you everywhere, anytime. If you want to think about your riding and not your board this is the one. Capable of super carved turns and easy effortless upwind even in the choppiest of conditions, it’s a highly adaptable tool that will love your local spot. Nothing beats the feeling of constant, fast progression. RED, spare me the drama!

Sizes
132 x 39.5
135 x 41
138 x 42
141 x 44

http://www.shinnworld.com/#!red/c14r1

V1_RED13frm.jpg
V1_RED13frm.jpg (81.11 KiB) Viewed 2171 times

IMG_2377frm.jpg
IMG_2377frm.jpg (105.78 KiB) Viewed 2171 times

IMG_2296-copyfrm.jpg
IMG_2296-copyfrm.jpg (177.21 KiB) Viewed 2171 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Toyboy

The numbers of gorls in our sport is growing, and the number of very talented girls even more so. The international team has picked up more than it's fair share of talented waterwomen in the past year, and the demand for tuned product is increasing. For the new year Shinn have 2 new models.
The hugely successful toyboy is back with updates shared from the Monk Forever lineup. Increased range, warranty and new graphics. Kitegirl ran a test last year and if I remember rightly they went through 5-10 different women specific twins. The results were astounding - the test was done by a rider poll of the public, all casting impartial votes and the Toyboy won with 5/5, whereas second place could only muster 3/5. It was a quantifiable proof of what we have been hearing from the Toyboy riders for the past year. This style of board is just so well suited to lighter riders. Control, comfort, ease and the ability to control large amounts of power without having to weight a lot. It's a fantastic multidiscipline board for the fairer sex.

shinn wrote:Ladies first - Performance in disguise
Coming back for it’s 3rd incarnation, the Toyboy shamelessly shares the Monk’s secret genetic code. Quietly going about it’s business of being the hardest carving, easiest popping and sweetest looking board on the market the Toyboy will put a smile on your face in even the craziest conditions. Not a cut down nor cast off board from the men, the Toyboy may be the most relevant thing to come to ladies kiteboarding this year. Ladies beware, this Toyboy might become your groom!

Sizes
126 x 38
128 x 39
130 x 40

http://www.shinnworld.com/#!toyboy/c21tx

V1_TOYBOY13frm.jpg
V1_TOYBOY13frm.jpg (173.48 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

IMG_0745frm.jpg
IMG_0745frm.jpg (114.75 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

IMG_0649 - Version 2frm.jpg
IMG_0649 - Version 2frm.jpg (97.99 KiB) Viewed 2169 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:50 pm

The Phenomenal

With the girls pushing the envelope in terms of freestyle it's only natural that the boards push further too. Once you have had a look at this board, there are similarities to the Supershinn, but I can assure you it is not the same board. Tuned to be a bit more civilised (lighter riders don't need all that tail width) it is it's own board.. Set up with extra inserts for use with boots, the Phenomenal is the unhooked choice with plenty of pop, extra lateral grip (hydroflow channels) allowing you to use smaller fins, and get plenty of pop, infact I have been told a huge amount op pop, essential for extra time you need in modern freestyle. This is the newest of the boards and we'll have more riding photos of it in time.

shinn wrote:Phenomenal Ear-to-ear grin ahead
We’ve never been afraid to listen to you ladies so at your request we’ve developed a second board just for the chicas. Utilizing hydroflo technology first seen on the Supershinn, Phenomenal is equally at home with straps or bindings and generates a simply ridiculous amount of POP to help you nail those moves. Is it cheating or legalized performance enhancing, we’re not sure but if you’re a woman and like to ride hard this is the one for you.

Sizes
134 x 39,5
136 x 41,5

http://www.shinnworld.com/#!phenomenal/cycw

V8_PHENOMENHAL_lineupfrm.jpg
V8_PHENOMENHAL_lineupfrm.jpg (119.57 KiB) Viewed 2165 times

phfrm.jpg
phfrm.jpg (68.22 KiB) Viewed 2165 times

phfrm2.jpg
phfrm2.jpg (123.54 KiB) Viewed 2165 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Supershinn

This is the new version of the original Supershinn.. A graphical makeover. The Supershinn is a board with a great deal of pop but it is far from a full on stiff aggressive freestyle board. It's civilised, infact so mach so that it's the choice of a great many riders as their freeride board. Especially popular with heavier riders it has a great deal of drive and excellent manners for a board which delivers so much POP. It has huge amounts.. With moderate loading it's surprising how far up you can get. It's got the widest stance setting of the range, needed for the more aggressive stance settings, and has channels in the tips to provide stiffness where needed and also reduce the size of the fins without detracting from the directional stability of the board. The new board is available in 2 colour ways. Same colour deck, but 2 different colour bases. Like all the shinn boards the rocker is constant curve and it's a joy to use in nasty, choppy gusty conditions without sacrificing lower wind efficiency. thjere is something about this CCV rocker that gives these boards huge range and comfort. The Supershinn is no exception...

shinn wrote:Controlled Supremacy - An instant standard in freestyle performance.
Speed, control, Pop, grip, drive.... only one board can deliver it all. After bursting onto the scene last year the New Supershinn refines what it's predecessor started. Not just for the accomplished freestyler; this ride offers accessible performance in the harshest conditions and buttery perfection alike. Wakestyle or freestyle, the Supershinn breaks the rules and opens new doors for riders to push themselves and their limits.

Sizes
134 x 40
135 x 41
136 x 42
137 x 44

http://www.shinnworld.com/#!the-new-supershinn/c1wxx

ssfrm1.jpg
ssfrm1.jpg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

IMG_7277frm.jpg
IMG_7277frm.jpg (74.15 KiB) Viewed 2159 times

IMG_2231frm.jpg
IMG_2231frm.jpg (82.82 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:13 pm

.... and now, after a lifetime of not needing a drysuit, I'm going to have to go and buy one! We have lovely conditions up here, just one problem..
It's snowing.
I have both sizes of speedball staring at me, and a snowdrift against the door - for the last 2 weeks.
For those of you who read this in the future - we are now in week 2 of an easterly russian airstream, with at least another week to go... Last year it was baking at easter - 20 degrees, this year zero degrees!!
global warming? Yes please :-/
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Seraphial » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:32 pm

Nice Mike. Boards are looking A++. Intrigued by the Speedball as well. I suppose the question for me is (and I know you said you still have to try it) - what does it do that a MF/Dundee can't? My original Monk does a lot of things very well...so how does it sit against them?

Also, you mentioned the Dundee is more of a graphical change, but are there any changes in construction at all?
Seraphial

Postby John.B » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Picking the Speedball up tomorrow and looks like wind Friday so hopefully test it and feedback on here very soon. Will be good to speak to the man himself about it after I have tried it..... no dry suit required but might be too cold for the short sleeve rash vest!
John.B

Postby Seraphial » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:29 am

John.B wrote: no dry suit required but might be too cold for the short sleeve rash vest!

Man up John :D

Would be great to get firsthand feedback. Enjoy the session!
Seraphial

Postby Mike B » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:57 am

Seraphial wrote:I suppose the question for me is (and I know you said you still have to try it) - what does it do that a MF/Dundee can't? My original Monk does a lot of things very well...so how does it sit against them?
Also, you mentioned the Dundee is more of a graphical change, but are there any changes in construction at all?

I have been told that there is ZERO overlap between the Speedball and the dundee/monk, it's like a different style of riding. What it offers is yet to be quantified.. I may well don a drysuit later today and go test it. I need to go to the local shop here and get some heavy duty insulation for head and hands! Jan mailed me this morning and said that "concept freeride" was not really a good way to describe it. In his words "high energy" was a far more apt description. That has me scratching my head though, as high energy is usually Monk territory...

I will check on any fine tuning to the Dundee with the maestro..

The boards do look well. I think the best looking so far is the Phenomenal, looking forward to seeing the dundee in the flesh, and i love the deck of the white Monk. They have a unique style, that is for sure..
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:58 am

Seraphial wrote:Also, you mentioned the Dundee is more of a graphical change, but are there any changes in construction at all?

and here is your answer..
shinn wrote:No changes at all sir. Same board, shape and construction.
I did make new proto boards but then realized it was losing it's Dundee-ness and back tracked
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby g0nz0 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:06 am

Monk Forever 132, Supershin 136, Dundee 133 are all available to demo at 24-7 Boardsports.

New speedball looks 'interesting' - a bit like the Juice widebody, but with the tips from a Mako or something??

Cheers

Dan
g0nz0

Core

Next

Return to Trade Expo