Boardworx 500

airush - SECTOR V4 // new SLAYER V1 // RACE - new season

Product news and press releases from supporting industry members.
(This section is now open for discussion)

airush - SECTOR V4 // new SLAYER V1 // RACE - new season

Postby Mike B » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:08 pm

The time has come when to unveil what is coming for our new season in ten days time. For the last 3 years many have welcomed the Sector as a cornerstone of their quiver. This year will see the fourth evolution of a board that opened our eyes to the amount of fun you can have in under 10 knots of wind. For those of you who have not experienced this, or are reading about these boards for the first time, we found that it's not the amount of power you can generate in light winds that limits the amount of fun you can have in under 10 knots of wind. It's what you put that power into. A good sized sector requires only a third the amount of power as a normal twin, and it hammers upwind with such a ferocity that it's changed the possibilities of the sport for many. Keep you normal sized larger kite, and add a Sector board to the quiver and you have halved the minimum wind you need to ride. More than this we have found them fun, easy, but challenging to master too. A lightwind insurance policy for many, they have continued to surprise by actually polarising and prioritising many peoples riding away from their traditional styles. It may sound like hyperbole, but I'm sure many will come along to chip in and agree... The Sector and it's kind are one of the biggest things to happen in the mainstream of the sport in the last 10 years.

This year we have updates and tweaks, but more interestingly three brand new boards. Two new boards called "Slayer" and a new One Design. If you click on the link below you'll get a download of the full Airush Race PDF which will explain in exact detail exactly what new kit there is, including the new race kites, exactly what tech is there, fin combinations, changes from this year to last, how it feels and works in comparison... everything. It's 5.8 meg though, but a pdf that should load on all your computers, tablets and phones..

http://ktwodistribution.com/Ktwo/public/2013.2014_RACE_DEALER_GUIDE_V2_03_12_2012.pdf

I will go into more specific detail about the individual boards and kites throughout the year. Media, tests and demo opportunities, but for now, have a look at the brief summaries below, and if you need more, download that pdf. Airush are really getting their act together these last few years and this set of kit is very impressive - especially the extensions of the sector's tech into the Slayer's capabilities....

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Quick lowdown on the SECTOR V4, light wind free / ride / race, released 20/22nd April 2013.

- new slightly tweaked shape
- 2 sizes in the range - 60 and 54, 66 is retired, replaced by a sector one design @ similar widths but more race oriented.
- keeps the same feel and dimensions as the V3 sector's of 2013
- sector 60 has the same finbox layout as 2013, BUT is supplied with 3 fins as stock instead of 4. These 3 fins are slightly bigger than the 3 fin option of 2013, and as such offer the advantages of 4 fin early planing / upwind bite, with the more carving oriented feel of last years 3 fin option. It's the best combo in my eyes (and I have tried a lot!)
- also has reduced swing weight in the nose
- also has more gybing oriented front strap configuration
- fin angle stays the same as last year - optimum angle for easy riding and efficiency
- sector 54 has the same fin and box layout as 2013 - the best and fastest layout for this shape.
- extra fins will be available for you to experiment with.
- new graphics
- we will have some interesting board bags for them come mid May

Quick lowdown on the SLAYER V1, manoeuvre oriented light wind free / style / ride / wave, released 20/22nd April 2013.

- new shorter, rounder outlined concept to the light wind Airush family as a manoeuvre oriented alternative to the fast more race oriented sector.
- step bottom hull to provide rocker without rocker - the holy grail of efficiency and the ability to go around corners and sit high on the water without drag.
- step bottom also brings a neutral feel between the front and back foot
- Super solid platform for strapless riding and manoeuvre initiation
- strakes through the nose (v steps) to improve drive when carving, also breaking water flow and limiting nose bounce when carving hard
- supplied with 3 swept fins for manoeuvre oriented riding and light wind freestyle.
- board has 5 mini tuttle fin boxes for you to experiment with different quad or tri setups.
- can be used strapless, twin or triple straps (54 supplied with only 2 straps)
I have tried the 54 already and will post a review below.. It's actually very good. Lacks the top end speed of the Sector, but is surprisingly effective round corners. It will be a very important part of the future of light wind fun..

Quick lowdown on the MONARO V5, race kite, released 20/22nd April 2013.

- ultra efficient rocker and outline for light wind and upwind performance
- step squash tail for increased control off the wind and in higher wind conditiuons
- dual chine rails to eliminate drag producing spray against the feet
- high modular carbon fibre construction with high density foam sandwich for minimum weight and maximum stiffness
- optimised 3 fin deep tuttle fin for upwind performance and control
- concave deck in nose area for reduced weight and wind lift on nose area
- comfort oriented deck shape for extended race session
- increased upwind performance compared to V4
- increased control due to v bottom shaping and amended fin and strap positions
- reduced drag due to reduced fin angles and new fin design
We do have a few of these in the UK, but limited in number - they are expensive and cutting edge..

Quick lowdown on the VXR V2, race kite, released 20/22nd April 2013.

- available sizes now 8, 10, 13, 15, 17, 18LW (light wind)
- points higher
- more speed downwind
- extreme hangtime
- massive lift
- light bar pressure
- tunable bar pressure options
- skinny bridle on 18m LW
- more power than last year
- more windrange than last year
- more stability than last year
- reduced weight over last year
- new 18m LW size that is tuned for the ultimate LW race - 15% lighter than the 17m, no one pump, skinny bridles, 3 strut design,
I have every one of these sizes in stock, and look forward to seeing how they go. The previous model was a pretty good light wind freeride kite, so I hope that these will go just as well, though the light wind side of things has competition in the Lithium 18m Zero. The 8 and 10 should be very interesting jumping kites though!

more info coming....
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Re: airush - SECTOR V4 // new SLAYER V1 // RACE - new season

Postby Mike B » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:08 am

Slayer review..

The background....
The main delivery of these boards comes into the UK on the 16th, and I hope to have them at our big national demo on the 20/21st April (more on this to come) yet I did get the chance to grab a session on a pre production 54 Slayer, and had it out at the back end of last week.

Sectors, as many of us are familiar with, are great for light wind freeride and charging in winds when many others cannot ride, but there have been times when getting around has not been enough. For some the race aspect is not enjoyable - they would much rather be learning and experimenting with tricks - skim, wake skate style etc, but both of these disciplines need more wind than Sector riding. For me personally, I've had more than a few sessions where I've had small but silky clean swells, though not enough wind to use a wave board, so I have been on them with the sector 60 (with mixed results!) and this is the reason why I also carried a 54 sector last year, in the hope that there was enough wind to drive it, should there be waves. Even when there was, the 54 is not the real answer; it's wont turn hard and sharp, only long and steady. Similarly a big waveboard is not the answer, it won't go early enough, and won't go upwind either - I had a choptop LW (60 wide) in active for a few months. It was a no go...

So the Slayer represented a holy grail, not to replace what a Sector does, but give me a board to use for freestyle and wave riding that planes early enough, and goes well enough upwind that I don't have to make the Sector 60 perform as a waveboard (which, to be fair, it hates). The designers warned me not to get my hopes up regarding a board that does both well, for the nature of what I want is by definition a compromise, though the twin step rocker idea and a bit of faith had me hoping!

The Review....
After a few sessions I can say that my optimism has been rewarded. It is what I wanted, and all credit to the designer (who now admits that it is actually good fun in the waves now) it's more than i hoped for. there are some issues, some areas of compromise compared to a sector or a waveboard, but overall, the 54 is exactly what I am, and was, after;
- The ability to plane with hardly any power, you can just stand upright on it and wave your kite around until you generate some power, then it planes, points and builds apparent wind easily.
- An efficiency that allows the board to glide. In lightwinds you get power spikes, and on sectors/slayers, you build some boardspeed and sustain it through the lulls. Whilst the slayer is not a sector in this regard, it is very close. When a waveboard (with a waveboards rocker) of this size comes to a lull, it simply drags itself to a halt as soon as the power turns off. This 54 Slayer continues to glide and point, in this it is absolutely fundamentally different to a waveboard.
- Upwind ability that is well in excess of a waveboard or smaller skim. Sure, again it's not pointing or travelling as fast as a Sector 60, but it's impressive. It has more than enough upwind potential under moderate power to cover a lot of distance upwind. The time spent going upwind is equal to the time spent ripping back downwind, and in my book that is job done! Back when we were talking about feeder classes for juinors in kite racing - this would have been ideal. Small non aggressive fins, lively but easy feel, and upwind ability such that you could still have effective races.
- The ability to really hook corners. A sector will not snap a turn off, it's not interested in changing direction quickly at slower speeds, whereas the Slayer will. It will hook a 180 inside an impossibly small arc with the use of some back foot pressure, and it doesnt stall out at all. In this it's Ideal for messing around in lightwind small surf and general freestyle.
- It's fantastic strapless. So stable and so easy to ride, you could drink a beer while gybing. It's by far the easiest board, and most stable platform I have used, but stability is not solidity - it's live and nimble when you want to make it do something.
- Whilst I'm no king of the skim movement, I can see the obvious potential here - the stable feel, the lively nature, compact and pop it has from the water should create some interesting style in the coming years.
- Fin positions, fin sizes. Here there is a lot of room for experimenting. The 54 I have came with 3x 13cm mini tuttle fins, but there are 5 mini tuttle boxes in the board. I already have a number of different fin sizes in production, and i know that it works with as small as 10, and as for larger, well that needs to be tested.. But having experimented with sectors I know that this makes a massive difference - so I anticipate the question - just how close to a sector's performance can you get it by putting a quad of upright fins in there.. and what happens with really small fins? Testing to be done but options are there for sure.

There are some compromises though. It's not like I was expecting the handling of my favourite 5'10 surfboard with the planing and upwind potential of a sector 60. That's just unrealistic. Well, to be fair, that would be ideal, but it's never going to happen, not without a physics re-write. So there are a few things it will not do, and the review would not be complete unless I listed some of the limitations too.
- Whilst the board is up and planing, as I said before it goes very early, but does have a top speed noticeably lower than a Sector. It's not got mutant speed when your pour power into it, and it's probably a little less free through the water than a fast wave board. It's an odd sensation in a board that planes so early. That said, it holds a good deal of power in a stable, balanced and easy way. In comparison, I feel more at home on the rail pitched against an angry kite on this than I do a sector 60.
- It goes round tight corners at slow speed VERY well, and starts to breed a lot of confidence, but if you wind the speed up and initiate a front foot turn, (i mean really bury in the rail and lean into a hardcore carve like you would on a hardcore surfboard), it's not happy. It will go straight on and while you body will be in the right position to go around the corner, the board will not follow. This is also a symptom of many onshore wave boards, or "freeride" wave boards, so I didn't expect it to, but it needs saying, that if you buy a Slayer and expect it to rip like a converse, you'll be cleaning out your sinuses. I'm yet to find the balance on this, and will develop a style around this in time, so I'm not yet saying what it can and can't do absolutely, but a few more weeks will tell.
- lastly the step does create noise and some vibration through the board. That said the board I tested was pre-production and it didn't have the sharpest release edge, so I am hoping for, and told to look for better in the production boards. The step in the board brings rocker where there is none. It's a cheat in getting the board to sit higher without the inefficiency of achieving this through rocker. In that it is very clever and effective, with no additional fin instability through air getting sucked under the board either, but it does make more noise and vibration through the board than you will be used to.

I already know this board is going to be under my feet for the majority of the season. It's certainly in the van and not coming out - I sincerely like it a lot. For lightwind days with a bit of swell, or if you are into your freestyle, it's a very well conceived, thought through, unique and effective bit of kit, very much a worthy addition to the brand.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby fatfish98 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm

It's certainly in the van and not coming out

Heard that before! :o)
When are you sending it down then? :o) :o)
fatfish98

Postby Wildduke » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:10 am

Mike B wrote:Slayer review..

Hi Mike,

I've posted these questions on the kiteforum thread, but I'll ask here to in case my questions help other other people that don't see the other thread.

Thanks for the information and the review of the Slayer, I'm really keen to give that board a go! I do have a couple of questions for you about the sector boards. I spent last season demoing the sector boards, however this season, I would like to buy one.

OK so the questions that I have;

1. I spent most of my time last season demoing the Sector One, and the more time I spent on it the sector the more I begun to get used to it. THEN... I tried the sector 54 V3, with 3 fins, and was completely shocked at how must faster it was than the One design. Jumping back on the One design, it felt like the handbrake was left on. Can I ask, do you think that was because of the 3 fins on the 54 vs the 4 fins on the One design?

2. I noticed from the pictures above that it looks like the front foot straps of this years One design, have been moved further forward. Is that true? And how does the One design board ride because of it?

3. The last sector One and the v3 sectors seemed to work fine if the board wasn't kept dead flat on the water, how about the new version of the One design? As looks to be taking on some of the DNA from the Monaro, does that mean that the riders ability will need to be better to get the board working properly?
Wildduke

Postby Mike B » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:46 am

Wildduke wrote:1. I spent most of my time last season demoing the Sector One, and the more time I spent on it the sector the more I begun to get used to it. THEN... I tried the sector 54 V3, with 3 fins, and was completely shocked at how must faster it was than the One design. Jumping back on the One design, it felt like the handbrake was left on. Can I ask, do you think that was because of the 3 fins on the 54 vs the 4 fins on the One design?

It was because the sector one design uses 4 fins of high cant (angle). It's and old design, and while the board is VERY easy to ride, it's not as efficient as the new configurations.
For example, last years V3 sector 60, with 3 fins in (5 degree cant instead of 7.5 on the one design) felt like a knife through butter (similar to the 54).
The fin configs and angles make huge differences, and also the size. The new boards (V4 that are just about to arrive) will be the best combo yet regarding fin placements on the sector 60 which is the biggest seller and most versatile.
Just out of interest - I put the fins of a sector 60 one design in a V4 54cm, as a result the 54 began to feel very similar to the one design, without the width..

Wildduke wrote:2. I noticed from the pictures above that it looks like the front foot straps of this years One design, have been moved further forward. Is that true? And how does the One design board ride because of it?

The one design this year is a TOTALLY different board - nothing is the same as the old one design you used. Its's wider, flatter, squarer, more aggressive. Closer to a raceboard than the freerace you have. It rides flatter, points higher, and resembles the monaro more. That said I have not ridden one yet, and have been told it's very civilised, but not the fast slippy sector 60 we all champion...

Wildduke wrote:3. The last sector One and the v3 sectors seemed to work fine if the board wasn't kept dead flat on the water, how about the new version of the One design? As looks to be taking on some of the DNA from the Monaro, does that mean that the riders ability will need to be better to get the board working properly?

exactly, though I am told the one design is a lot easier to deal with than the dimensions would suggest. It's a raceboard with as much civility built into it as possible. That said, the carving light rail to rail feel of the sector 60 would not be there..
You really need to try a v3 / v4 sector 60 if you liked the practicality of the one design with the feel of the 54. It's the best of both from your perspective....
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:34 am

The Main delivery of these boards is due on the 17th into Felixstowe..
It looks unlikely I will get them for the demo event this weekend :-( as it takes at least 5 days to get them through customs.
I will have the slayer 54 with me though... and last years 54 and 66 sector V3... with the 18, 17 and 15 race kites, so lightwinds are covered ;-)
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby 24-7 Boardsports » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:49 am

We've got V4 Sectors & Slayers coming into stock when they land in the UK. No doubt we'll be sticking boards on the water for demo.

Dan
24-7 Boardsports

Postby Mike B » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:14 pm

I have the fins for them, :-)
The slayer fins look slick, and the sector fins have new graphics and have the centre of the deep tuttle boxes milled out. They feel like half the weight of last year's fins..
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:38 pm

Some Beautiful shots of the new Sectors..
really beautiful looking boards this year....

They arrive in the warehouse on monday..

Also - they are now all live on the net;
SLAYER -
Sector -
Monaro -
VXR V2 -
Lithium Zero

go have a look on the airush site - stunning.. go click on the links above...

Sector-V4-Gallery-2.jpg
Sector-V4-Gallery-2.jpg (74.72 KiB) Viewed 3323 times

2013_SECTOR_V4_60_SIDE.jpg
2013_SECTOR_V4_60_SIDE.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 3323 times

2013_SECTOR_V4_60_PERSPECTIVE.jpg
2013_SECTOR_V4_60_PERSPECTIVE.jpg (97.28 KiB) Viewed 3323 times
Last edited by Mike B on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:48 pm

Also - really excited to see what this is like...
the weight of this 18m is the same as a 10m lithium. It's supposed to have good range too. Two test kites arrive next week...

Lithium Zero, 18m

Airush-Lithium-Zero-Gallery-5.jpg
Airush-Lithium-Zero-Gallery-5.jpg (109.6 KiB) Viewed 3321 times

Airush-Lithium-Zero-Gallery-2.jpg
Airush-Lithium-Zero-Gallery-2.jpg (109.42 KiB) Viewed 3321 times

Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 16.33.55.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 16.33.55.jpg (124.32 KiB) Viewed 3321 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby petey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Trying not to drool on my keyboard but failing miserably!
petey

Postby Mike B » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:54 pm

sadly the sectors and slayers are arriving monday - too late for the demo this weekend.
I will have the test 54 with me though so anyone who wants to have a shot, come look for the flags. She'll be waiting for you!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Sonnyrider » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:46 pm

Mike B wrote:Also - really excited to see what this is like...
the weight of this 18m is the same as a 10m lithium. It's supposed to have good range too. Two test kites arrive next week...

Lithium Zero, 18m

Airush-Lithium-Zero-Gallery-5.jpg

Airush-Lithium-Zero-Gallery-2.jpg

Screen Shot 2013-04-18 at 16.33.55.jpg

Can't wait to hear what you think of these

What about the 16m One?

So many nice 'promising' toys on the horizon
:-)
Sonnyrider

Postby Mike B » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:25 pm

16m one is older tech now..
Probably better for school use - I know Lawrence speaks highly of it in cornwall for teaching as it's so quick to turn and drifts so well.

I tried a 13m VXR V2 today and it was comparatively rapid, so the 3 strut 18 may be a go-er, but need some lightwind to try it..
The 18m zero I think will work the best though - just have a feeling that weight, aspect and aero will produce a very fun toy.. It arrives next week.

Slayer 54 going down a storm today on the demo. So easy to ride, light and eager underfoot, but very solid (inspires trust) and not nervous, balanced and the power range is MASSIVE..
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:45 am

Finished the demo day on a good note - after the wind dropped in the afternoon, the sun came out and dried us all out!

in the end we had the following kites on the water;
6 wave, 9 wave, 8m Vx, 9m Li, 12m Li, 12m Vx, 14m LI, 13m VXR V2, 8m VXR V2 on the water, as well as over 15 boards..
conditions from super light to pretty windy - plenty of folks, was a really good atmosphere and great to meet everyone...

next demo day May 18-19th,
put that weekend in your diary!

:-)

panorama.jpg
panorama.jpg (95.23 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

carved.de

Next

Return to Trade Expo