Boardworx 500

airush - SECTOR V4 // new SLAYER V1 // RACE - new season

Product news and press releases from supporting industry members.
(This section is now open for discussion)

Re: airush - SECTOR V4 // new SLAYER V1 // RACE - new season

Postby Mike B » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Slayer 60 - Just in from a quick hour after work..

I have been waiting to try this 18m Litium Lightwind and the 18m VXR, but so far it's either been windy or zero wind. I thought tonight may be the night but when Stepped outside to walk the dog, the sea breeze was up, and so was the swell!... sorry pooch :-(

I used a 9m wave, wind must have been 10 knots, up to the 13-14 and down to the 6's, temp around 9-10 degrees C. Having ridden the Slayer 54 already I went armed to the waters edge with the stock 60, 54, Wave 9 and a set of quad race fins, just to see what the board did with conservative sized race fins in. I'm 76kg right now..

So.. what's the new 60 like?
Well - when I first came to V2 Sectors I shunned the big board and tried the small one first. In the end I came to love the big one, and rarely used the small.. I think the same is about to happen here. The 60 is fantastic. Really nice. Felt at home straight away, it just felt right. I swapped backwards and forwards 2-3 times, but for me, today, the 60 was a very impressive bit of kit. I have to temper this review a bit, for given more wind the 54 would do better, but today? Conditions were ridable just with the 54, but the 60 shone. A lot of fun was had, I can guarantee you that... Here are some of the more relevant points;

- very quick and easy onto the plane, feels like it has less frictional resistance than the 54 initially, and has huge amounts of static float in between power stokes. You can get away with just standing on it like and SUP.
- sits very comfortably on the rail, has a better balance and reaction to stance changes
- feel bigger in terms of frictional resistance at higher speeds BUT reactions to weight changes are more gradual and make the board feel more natural and intuitive.
- much better in lower winds, significantly so. You can flatten it and skew it into the wind and the thing really does power a LOT earlier
- Upwind ability is again vastly superior. It's pointing a lot higher. It's close to a sector even if it doesnt have the same pace, it has the practical ability of a sector. I borught race fins in to try. Pointless. You would never need more upwind ability than it has. If you do, you need a raceboard. Flying the kite and moving it round the window to carve and lift is impossible way before you can't go upwind..
- Carving is excellent for it's size. Its not as sharp as the 54, and like the 54 you have to use your back foot more than your front, but give it a dab of power, some weight on the back foot and it's round very fast. Fast enough for any size of wave and boardspeed you would be using it for. Totally possible to wave ride medium and small waves with a great deal of fun and style. Doubt it would like big fast waves and front foot heavy carves, but that's not what it's for...

Ultimately I think we will sell 70/30 in favour of the 60/54.
The answer to the question - does the 60cm of width take the carving concept past what is physically possible?
- No, in may ways it's better in this wider size - smoother, more progressive and balanced on the rail with a bigger wind range and certainly more applicable to the light winds for which these boards are aimed.

That quarter of rail between front straps and tail is just such a balanced and nice place to be on the Slayer 60. The board seems settled, efficient and smooth, it just feels right. You can roll forwards and back and the board and it just seems to roll with you, no change in stance of efficiency, it's how it should be... and it's effortless, comfortable and highly efficient. You can drop easily to a normal surfboard when the wind picks up, or a twin.. It will hold power. Also - this board is even easier to ride than the 54, which is considerably easier than the sectors! It's easy and capable too. As a veteran of the sport, I didn't find it disengaging in the slightest.. I had a really good hour on it.

It sounds like I am giving the 54 a bad wrap here. It's more aggressive, edgier and ultimately you can pour more power into it. It's also going to be better for jumping and freestyle (half of what this board is aimed at). That said, a lot of these light winds are more about technique than aggression, and for me the practicality and manners of the 60 have it. It must also be noted that few of us are into the hardcore side of what these boards are capable of, and that considered the majority of us will probably side with 60. I actually thought that the 60 would be the poorer, fatter cousin of what the 54 could do. I was wrong again. It's a standout bit of kit. I look forward to trying it against a sector in some pan flat offshore work, see if it's practical there too..

some pics from today. Also i should say - these are not the stock straps.. they are last years.. New straps are thinner and smaller. The boards probably ride best strapless to be honest, but you need some wax or non slip between the pads..

photo 4.jpg
photo 4.jpg (185.04 KiB) Viewed 1028 times

sally.jpg
sally.jpg (190.79 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby John.B » Thu May 02, 2013 9:07 am

Mike – as you know the sector did pique my interest a bit, but the Slayer seems a bit more ‘me’ and got me intrigued for some ‘low’ wind fun. However, I do see myself on the smaller of the two and chucking it about a bit and want to know just how low is low? I’m probably not interested in ultra-light-wind riding and cruising so what do you think the usable fun range is for the 54 with say the 9m Wave?

In your opinion do boards like the Sector/Slayer respond better to certain types of kite e.g. something like the Wave or a race kite? I know that they will ‘work’ with any kite but in my head (no experience) for chucking it around something that pulls constantly (Razor) when moving would not be the best option?

We are graduating onto a smaller pushchair for the baby and I think I can squeeze one of these in the car now!
John.B

Postby Mike B » Thu May 02, 2013 1:28 pm

John.B wrote:Mike – as you know the sector did pique my interest a bit, but the Slayer seems a bit more ‘me’ and got me intrigued for some ‘low’ wind fun. However, I do see myself on the smaller of the two and chucking it about a bit and want to know just how low is low? I’m probably not interested in ultra-light-wind riding and cruising so what do you think the usable fun range is for the 54 with say the 9m Wave?

For your temps and weather - probably 9kts plus. The 60 will have you going in 6 knots at 10-12 degrees - seriously!

In my eyes;
the 54 is sharper, faster, holds more power and feels smaller, but it's closer to a powered twin tip session.
the 60 is more balanced to ride, has much better light and upwind ability and is the true antithesis of a powered twin tip session - is that not the idea of these things - to ride when you normally cannot? Is there an overlap between slayer 60 and 132 monk..? yes, but it is narrow. The overlap is far greater on the 54..

John.B wrote:In your opinion do boards like the Sector/Slayer respond better to certain types of kite e.g. something like the Wave or a race kite?

nope - power is power - it can be argued that the exceptional high speed efficiency of the sector can be better suited to race kites - but the slayer - genuinely, will take power from anywhere, and what you need is speed of kite that can keep up with it's ability to change direction... It was more than a match for my 9m wave on tuesday night!

John.B wrote:I know that they will ‘work’ with any kite but in my head (no experience) for chucking it around something that pulls constantly (Razor) when moving would not be the best option?

on the slayer, one of the better options, as a good forward turning kite makes throwing one of these things around more fun. They do edge and grip well - balanced, progressive and stable, so I don't foresee a problem with pinning down power - and anyway - you don't go out on these things overpowered - the skill is to build apparent wind and make everything smooth. Overpower is the realm of the twin tip..

John.B wrote:We are graduating onto a smaller pushchair for the baby and I think I can squeeze one of these in the car now!

it doubles as a picnic table ;-)
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby John.B » Thu May 02, 2013 2:25 pm

I can probably ride on the 132 Monk on the 11m from about 10 knots and hold ground. Low powered stuff happens at about 13 knots and around the 15 knot mark is when the fun really starts without worrying about loosing to much ground.

All too often though our winds will be very up and down and we don't get a steady speed/strength. This is different to punchy gusts and is more of an undulating wind so you can go from being under to overpowered without really 'feeling' it until you unhook and either stall the kite or ping off the water more violently than expected! Over the last couple of years I can probably count on one hand the days that have been consistent wind and conditions wise for going for it?

I'm therefore thinking the Slayer (54) might be a way to have a bit more fun and learn a new skill in the 10 to 15+ knot range? I'm looking at it as less of a light wind option but something that can give more consistency / less frustration in changeable ‘lighter’ winds?

The fact that it doubles as a picnic table is nothing but and added bonus :wink:
John.B

Postby Mike B » Tue May 07, 2013 7:05 am

John.B wrote:I'm therefore thinking the Slayer (54) might be a way to have a bit more fun and learn a new skill in the 10 to 15+ knot range? I'm looking at it as less of a light wind option but something that can give more consistency / less frustration in changeable ‘lighter’ winds?

10-15kt is really quite windy.. It's topping out at the top of the lightwind directional's sweet spot.. A surfboard (cypher) will go in this, as will a twin, so not sure if you are barking up the wrong tree... Yes it will plug the holes of 6-10 knots and allow you impunity upwind, but with peaks of 15 then a Cypher will too, and these are like flatwater missiles as well as great REAL waveboards... Perhaps that is what you are after.

The Slayer 54 will push from 6-7 knots to 20, but it's sweet stop will be 8-15 whenre it will make your kite lines sing, but it is a board more for the 70kg and down over rider.. It has more crossover with the Sector 54, which is a very fast flatwater directional, and if you are looking to ride a direction with a sniff of Monk about you you'll probably find that more fun..

The reason I champion the 60 Slayer, is (aside the fact it's better suited to my usual weight of 80kg) if will make your kite lines sing in 6-12 knots, which is well outside the "fun" range of normal kit.. You have have a lot of fun and impunity to these normally restrictive conditions. It's such a stable platform to goof around on, that it encourages you to arse about and really brings your riding on, plus its so pleasant to ride - it makes you want to ride on light days. It also has the volume and efficiency to make these new strutless kites work, and the bigger lightweight kites, which are possibly pushing the fun envelope further down still (unsure yet wether this tech will be mass market applicable - but we will find out this summer). It's a new and groundbreaking bit of kit for 75kg+ riders.

You are under 75 though, right?
..if so, then 54 slayer or sector may be better depending on your style of lightwind kiting - manoeuvre vs charging
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby John.B » Tue May 07, 2013 8:14 am

Mike B wrote:10-15kt is really quite windy.. It's topping out at the top of the lightwind directional's sweet spot.. A surfboard (cypher) will go in this, as will a twin, so not sure if you are barking up the wrong tree... Yes it will plug the holes of 6-10 knots and allow you impunity upwind, but with peaks of 15 then a Cypher will too, and these are like flatwater missiles as well as great REAL waveboards... Perhaps that is what you are after.

The Slayer 54 will push from 6-7 knots to 20, but it's sweet stop will be 8-15 whenre it will make your kite lines sing, but it is a board more for the 70kg and down over rider.. It has more crossover with the Sector 54, which is a very fast flatwater directional, and if you are looking to ride a direction with a sniff of Monk about you you'll probably find that more fun..

The reason I champion the 60 Slayer, is (aside the fact it's better suited to my usual weight of 80kg) if will make your kite lines sing in 6-12 knots, which is well outside the "fun" range of normal kit.. You have have a lot of fun and impunity to these normally restrictive conditions. It's such a stable platform to goof around on, that it encourages you to arse about and really brings your riding on, plus its so pleasant to ride - it makes you want to ride on light days. It also has the volume and efficiency to make these new strutless kites work, and the bigger lightweight kites, which are possibly pushing the fun envelope further down still (unsure yet wether this tech will be mass market applicable - but we will find out this summer). It's a new and groundbreaking bit of kit for 75kg+ riders.

You are under 75 though, right?
..if so, then 54 slayer or sector may be better depending on your style of lightwind kiting - manoeuvre vs charging

I’m currently 77Kg and will probably stay around this most of the year now - 75 kg pre-holiday damage limitation and the 79kg post festive season bloat excluded.

Not looking to charge around and want something more playful to learn a new skills. l for when the conditions are not up to charging it . So eventually looking at shove-its and small strapless airs, grabs etc and whatever else I can throw in – more fun than distance/ground made hence leaning towards the 54… unless really desperate I can’t see me driving to the beach if less than 10 knots forecast?

Saturday past was a good example with the wind probably bang between sizes when I arrived so I went 9m in case it picked up as forecast but it ended up hovering mostly around 12knots up to 17 at times but not a gusty day. Conditions where flat to small chop in front of car park but at the bottom part of the bay there was some nice little waves. Fraser (on the 10m VXR) got the best of both on the Surfboard in the lows, and swapping to the twin to get some decent jumps (VXR) when it filled in. Me I got to do some unhooked stuff, but aside from it being bitingly cold it was not the best conditions at all for it and not enough juice to jump.

I probably see a Slayer more for this type of day – if it was going to consistently be above 15 knots then I’d break out the twin and the ‘big’ kite for some fun and above 20 is 9m territory.
John.B

Postby Mike B » Tue May 07, 2013 9:54 am

John.B wrote:I probably see a Slayer more for this type of day – if it was going to consistently be above 15 knots then I’d break out the twin and the ‘big’ kite for some fun and above 20 is 9m territory.

I guess you'll find out when you demo then, for sure..
I'll get some kit to you once the next few weeks of craziness has ended and you can play :-)
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby John.B » Wed May 08, 2013 2:23 pm

Demos are always good – but for something like this I think I’m going to have to commit. I’ll need to have it long-term without a fall back plan when I invariably fall off it a lot to begin with?

Fathers day is next month… and I’m worth it or is that shampoo?

Either way I’m up for this so when I get one I’ll report back here. I’m sure there are plenty who like the idea of something like this but see it beyond how they ride normally – I’ll get the camera line mounted and you can all see how I get on learning to gybe!

End of summer goal is to do a grabbed air gybe – gotta aim high :)
John.B

Postby Mike B » Wed May 08, 2013 3:05 pm

John.B wrote:Demos are always good – but for something like this I think I’m going to have to commit. I’ll need to have it long-term without a fall back plan when I invariably fall off it a lot to begin with?

probably the easiest directional I have ever used!
If you cant ride this then you really do have problems!

John.B wrote:Either way I’m up for this so when I get one I’ll report back here. I’m sure there are plenty who like the idea of something like this but see it beyond how they ride normally – I’ll get the camera line mounted and you can all see how I get on learning to gybe!
End of summer goal is to do a grabbed air gybe – gotta aim high :)

Well, the fins are rounded, so You'll hopefully not need any sutures!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Wed May 08, 2013 3:07 pm

Hi All,

Airush are releasing the first video out of 3 for the Airush Lightwind Range. (Followed by the Sector and Zero)
The Slayer Tech Video features Airush board designer, Clinton Filen explaining the aspect of the new Slayer board.

image.jpg
image.jpg (217.05 KiB) Viewed 866 times

Check out the video here: https://vimeo.com/65726755

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Thu May 09, 2013 3:24 pm

Here is today's offering...
A visit to the Airush Lab for an explanation on the Sector V4's...
These are in stock as of a week or so now, some major changes from V3 -

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Tony » Thu May 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Hey mike, something missing from your last post or just me kissing something on my phone!

New board day for me coming very soon, you gotta like riding a sector, leaves you wishing for a light wind day :shock:

T
Tony
Site Admin

Postby Lodey Kite Loft » Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Lodey Kite Loft have a Sector 60 V4 on demo as well as in stock along with the Slayer 60 sitting in the shop looking absolutely lovely and gagging to be ridden ! Give us a bell on 01736719359 to book a demo or visit www.lodeykiteloft.co.uk
Lodey Kite Loft

Postby John.B » Tue May 14, 2013 7:30 pm

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2013/05/2 ... d-review/#

Looking forward to getting one of these when (if) summer arrives and getting to grips with some strapless fun.

(Wont need it next week in Medano - forecast is epic!)
John.B

Postby petey » Thu May 16, 2013 11:13 pm

Got a very brief (15 minute) session on the V4 Sector 60 on Sunday; brief due to combination of crap conditions and shocking lack of fitness on my part after months out of the water. That said, neither the catastrophically shite wind or my excessively lardy arse were enough to hide the V4's astonishing drive and stability.

I was on the stock tripple setup and was pleased to find it tracking far more positively through gibes than than the V3 on a quad setup yet not suffering the same lateral drift when cranked as the V3 on a tripple. While the V3 on three fins was hugely chuckable and great fun downwind, it really needed the quad to deliver upwind and on fast reaches, but, it did then need significant coaxing to complete a gibe when underpowered as the nose just wanted to lock in downwind. Seems they may have nailed it on the V4 tripple; way more time needed to confirm that of course.

Note that it was horribly gusty on Sunday and I was flying a 6m ONE in gusts that were regularly trying to flip the board; far from ideal conditions for a board of this type and yet, despite crap conditions and a rusty rider it stayed controllable and predictable... and bloody quick! So quick that I reckon it may now be too rapid for some lower aspect kites; it carries so much speed that I was frequently overtaking the kite in the lulls.

I'm looking forward to a less hectic session on it now.
petey

Ocean Rodeo

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Expo