Boardworx Best

airush - SECTOR V4 // new SLAYER V1 // RACE - new season

Product news and press releases from supporting industry members.
(This section is now open for discussion)

Re: airush - SECTOR V4 // new SLAYER V1 // RACE - new season

Postby Mike B » Fri May 17, 2013 10:14 am

having watched the vid from airush it's now apparent that they did not just change the fin selection graphics and deck contour. The board is a completely different mould. Physically longer too.
I have the V4 60 with me and will have it his weekend in cornwall...
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Sat May 18, 2013 9:33 pm

V4 60 out today with the 18m VXR lightwind (3 strut, light bridles).
It has to be the first combo upwind, a very impressive kite - not boring to use, and very efficient.
Sadly the 18m Li Zero was not here - it dodn't come back from demo in time :-(

Sector V3 60 was first to get going, and goes very early.
Slayer 60 was 1/2 knots behind, but feels tiny in comparison, though you forget just how efficient the 60 is, and how it points. It hammers along in wind that you struggle to fly the big kites in..
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Sat May 25, 2013 7:06 pm

we did the full lightwind test this morning...
VXR V2 18m vs Lithium 18m zero...
Sector 60 vs Slayer 60 vs 46 wide Shinn king george..
:P

The Sector 60 is an upwind machine! The Li zero and the Sector chart new levels of lightwind ability. Even when I though there was no where near enough wind to ride...
3 power strokes and was eating into half my depower! I need to find even lighter conditions..
I do like that 18m VXR v2 on the 60 / 54 Slayer though. Quicker, more efficient and you can really dick around on it.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby ronnie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm

ronnie

Postby Mike B » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:26 am

Good find...
I agree with it all.
Shame they could not contrast it to the 60..

On the water, our testers reported a very smooth and extremely stable ride. The Slayer takes very little power to ride and get upwind on. We thought the wide outline would make it a challenge to control without straps, but in fact the Slayer is a very mellow and manageable board. It’s so stable that we feel it would make a good board for riders who want to learn basic strapless skills.

The light wind ability of the Slayer is much better than a typical surfboard. The low end isn’t as good as a board like the Airush Sector and it isn’t as fast, but it also feels much more playful. Strapless jumps are easier than average with the Slayer as the wide outline catches a lot of wind and helps hold the board to your feet in the air.
Airush intends this board to be used in flat water, but we took it into the surf anyway and found that it’s actually really fun in small surf and underpowered conditions. However once waves get over about knee high the width makes the Slayer a bit of a challenge to ride.
Overall out testers feel the Slayer makes a great light wind board for underpowered days. It’s stable and easy to ride while still delivering a playful feel that will satisfy riders who want a directional light wind board for more than just cruising back and forth.
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:22 pm

Still love this 1st gen version of the sector..
this was 2011, things have come a long way since then..

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby John.B » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:35 pm

Ok been out on the 54 is very light winds and it is an easy board to have fun on - I'm no strapless rider and gybed it twice on my first outing. However, that said for us TT riders are there any tips for this type of board ridden strapless? There are guides for using surfboards and stuff for raceboards but with something like the slayer some information would be good?

Looking at things like foot placement, body weighting and edging - so far I'm placing my back foot far back and over the fins and my font foot is well forwards and I turn it with my toes pointing towards the front of the board. To ride it I'm edging/pushing slightly against the fins with the rear of the board flat and my body weight mostly over the board?
John.B

Postby Mike B » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:45 am

put straps on it ;-)
Strapless you have to move your feet around, just keep experimenting...
Wide stance is solid, and the slayer does turn more from the back foot, so you'll need it back there for carving, but up front is more efficient for lightwinds and upwind. Ridden flat and yawed into the wind they are most efficient in light winds, on the rail like a twin to get the most bite and control in the gusts.
They are very easy, intuitive and fun!
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Postby John.B » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:08 am

It will remain strapless :-)

It was actually easier to ride than expected but I still felt like a total newb –at points I felt like one of those baby giraffes you see on nature programmes trying to stand for the first time.

It was an incoming tide and as it hit the sandbars it would throw up some 1 foot slop which was very easy to manoeuvre over/through which was surprising and if you turn it almost directly pointing with it you can even ride that (big wave riding lol!).

I did notice that in the flat sections it really comes alive and getting weight over the back and makes it ‘carve’ very easy and if ridden off the wind (yawed?) you can make it go surprisingly fast – all with control as it never gets away from you. What was strange was when the wind picked up and I got on the TT I was all over the place for about 5 minutes and even my wide stance on the Monk felt narrow and restrictive.

Thinking about it more – it was intuitive but being a relative virgin to this type of riding and no one else out that day to ask I wondered if it really was that easy? We have a ‘shit’ forecast for Saturday that I’m looking forward to as it will be Slayer weather and time to practice some more!
John.B

Postby naishdude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:53 am

Hi guys , new to this forum here.
Pretty interesting item about Airusg sectors ..

Some of my problems....
I owned sector v1 v1.5 and v2..... now l own the sector 60 v4.

I weigh 80 kg, and normally fly a 13m ozone edge on it....normally on the sector v2 had quadfin, and git it going pretty soon, together with the quad fin, it was very stable in keeping driction and did not bounce so hard in chop as the sector v4 l have now.
My footstrap setting on the v2 was all towards the rear of the board.

I did the same footstrapsetting on the V4 except the rear straps all the way towards the outside of the board, the board is not as easy to get planning in lightwinds on 3 fin, compared to the V2 on 4 fin...
The V4 is more difficult as it bounces more...
All of this could be due to being on 3 fin and l propably need to put the rear straps to the mid position if only ridden on trifin?
The jibing is a dream on the V4

Biggest problem no extra 2 rear fins avalable overhere ( Belgium, Holland, Germany)
The German importer told me that ladt year they were stuck with a vast amount of rearfins....and as they did not order any for this saison, it might take up to 4 months before they can deliver!

As we mostly do longer runs along the coastline, the 4 fin setup would surely improve the direction stability, and easier tacking upwind...anyone who has experience going from v2 to v4 and emcountered the same as l do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Any rear fins available in UK? What is the price of these babies?

Thanks,

Dude
naishdude

Postby petey » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Naishdude-

Mike B should be able to point you towards a UK retailer who'll ship to you. And I'd definitely recommend the quad setup for the V4, as while it was fun on three fins, its a very different board - and IMO, an even better one - on four.

Where the V3 on four fins was better upwind and on fast reaches and went much earlier, it was a bit of a handful off the wind and on fast downwind legs. The V4 on four fins goes much earlier (which was a relief as I was worried I'd lost a few kts off my low-end!), tracks better, storms upwind, is actually much better off the wind and carves with far more control and progression. The extra fin also reduced the nose bounce that was admittedly a bit much when ridden on three fins in chop.

The other thing - already hinted at - is just how much better it is when you bear off quickly at speed. When doing this on three fins I found the board was twitchy as hell and just wanted to throw me off. On four, it goes where you point it, smoother, faster etc. Personally, I think it just works better.

As for straps, I'd shifted the rear ones forward and inboard as, like you, I also found it struggling to go in lighter conditions. I may try them in the outboard position again now its on four fins, but only in higher winds as I simply don't think there's enough volume in the tail to support bigger riders on that stance in light wind.

No doubt some people will prefer it on three fins as its a bit less work to 'just ride', but the whole point of the Sector is squeezing the most out of marginal conditions. The quad setup does so much to help realise the board's potential that I'd urge anyone to give it a go.
petey

Postby naishdude » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:26 pm

Thx petey well appreciated and it shows a bit my concern got answered by your question, any idea of price for these additional rearfins?
Greetzzz Dude
naishdude

Postby petey » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Think they're around £60 GBP per set, though I may be wrong. Far as I can remember they're the same as last year's rear pair, i.e. 22cm, 5 deg cant, asymmetrically foiled, mini-tuttle box. I'm sure Mike can confirm. Drop him a PM if he's not replied on here in the next couple of days.
petey

Postby naishdude » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:50 pm

Hi guys,

Today, 16 to 20 knots, verry choppy.

Sector 60v4 and 9m wavekite that flies pretty deep into the windwindow, and the new footstrap setup.

Wow what a diiference, this board flies...sometimes like a flying carpet...zero gravity feeling :-) :-) :-) :-)

So the rear straps are put on the inside of the board, and in the front position,
the frontstraps l kept in the rear position.
Obviously this seput is better on 3 fins as your rear foot pressure is more upon/above the single fin, having the rear straps on the way outside position and all the way back to the rear, pushes too much sideways, l even had spinout...the board stopped and l went on......:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Ok thank so far for the help...l will get a pair of v2 rearfins to test from my friend...so that will be the new test in the coming weeks.
Cheers from a sunny and windy Holland!

Frank ( aka dude :-)
naishdude

Postby Mike B » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 am

Gentlemen!

There are not many of these rear fins to convert V4 60 to 4 fins in the UK.. I have ordered more but they will be a while..
As of yet I have not tried the V4 on 4, but after conversations with Pete (above) I will...
I have always been a fan of 3 fins, but now very curious to see how the V4 goes with 4.

This year, with the release of the Lithium zero, I have not had an under powered session on the sectors. If there is enough wind to put the kite up, I'm spending 50% of the time at full power which is something that sector riding never used to be. I think it may be time to start reducing the size of the kites I use..
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Best Pump Less

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Expo