Boardworx 500

Airush 2014 - new thread - 15 years of kiteboarding

Product news and press releases from supporting industry members.
(This section is now open for discussion)

• View unanswered postsView active topics

• Re: Airush 2014 - new thread - 15 years of kiteboarding

Postby wrogu » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:59 am

Airush is becoming very popular not only in UK. In Poland once the distributor changed Airush started to appear on the water. DNAs/lithium being the most popular kites, there is a great market for the razors too. Well, as we speek there are 3 razors on their way to me (2013 teams). Airush has cut a GREAT slice of the pie in here ;)

There are still some flaws to improve imho. I am not a big fan of the bar, but it does it's job and bars are a very subjective topic.
    wrogu

Re: Airush 2014 - new thread - 15 years of kiteboarding

Postby lucie » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Mike - interesting what you say about the Razors being good looking sites and wanting a quiver of them - that's how I feel about the Wave. Kept drawing my eye out in Spain.... That's why I want a 6,9, 12 quiver of those.... And getting confused by reviews of the VX. Still. Leaving work at 3 today and it'll be perfect for trying those demos you sent :)
    lucie

Postby Blast » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 pm

:-D
    Hatteras on the Varial X and 5'11 Converse

https://vimeo.com/68242036
    Blast

Postby Mike B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:33 am

Blast wrote::-D
    Hatteras on the Varial X and 5'11 Converse

https://vimeo.com/68242036

That's very impressive - the guy looks like he's bored he's in so much control!
    Mike B
    Brand Rep'
    Brand Rep'

Postby Mike B » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:04 am

THE RAT IS BACK!

For 2013/2014 season we have released the 3rd Rider Survey to get a better understanding of the current market, what they expect from us as a brand, and what they want in the future.

http://www.airush.com/2014/airush-2013-lab-rat-survey/

It plays a major role in how Airush make decisions and allocate resources to make an enjoyable experience each and every year for the rider.
    Please take time to fill this out, release this to your contacts, and encourage them to fill this out as well accurately and honestly. It helps us all in the end.
    :-)

image.jpg
    image.jpg (131.96 KiB) Viewed 584 times
    Mike B
    Brand Rep'
    Brand Rep'

Postby John.B » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:56 am

2014 7m VX Review

Awesome seems to be a superlative I use a lot recently when reviewing kit. This has to be a good thing having so much gear that is this good… is well awesome! It is also the word that genuinely best describes how I feel about the kit and the session I just had on it.

The 7m 2014 Varial-X definitely falls into this category.

I spent about 3 hours on the 7m yesterday in cold frontal gusty NW winds ranging anywhere from the mid 20’s to at times the low 40’s. In many ways it is a smaller version of the 12m that I have grown to love so much. At the lower end of it’s range it is a surprisingly good freestyle kite that you can load and pop against. Sometimes 7m kites can be a bit waspish, but the VX setup on the small (inner) bar setting is measured and deliberate in it’s response to input. You can really feel where it is in the window and what it is doing – it won’t take off skyward at the slightest twitch.

That is not to say it is slow, and deliberate really is a good word to describe it’s handling – it goes exactly where you want it. It also moves quick when you need it to - you just adjust the amount of input and it will respond accordingly. This as the wind gets up makes for an awesome jumping kite as you can really whip it back with control and the high aspect shape means it climbs really fast. However, the three strut design then gives you good float and distance. I got some huge air on it yesterday in conditions that would have been very tricky and made other kites very nervous or complete bastards.

Comparing it to the Razor the handling, control and feedback is very, very similar. The Razor would in the right conditions i.e. blowing a steady 35 (in my dreams) give you better height, but the VX will carry you further and bring you down easier. For me in real world conditions it is also hugely more usable and the depower at the bar is fantastic – in fact I pulled the stopper down a tiny bit yesterday and never touched the trim strap. You can push the bar away and it eases off the power very linearly and still handles the same fully depowered. You can also edge against it to force it to the edge of the window and spill the power that way without it falling back and surging the way some bridled kites can. As I said it is very C kite like in all the good ways.

Comparing it to the 7m Wave it drives around the window differently and the turn feels less pivotal – not that the Wave goes flaccid in the turn. The Wave is very precise, but remembering it is primarily designed for wave riding it feels faster and although there is control, in very high winds it can feel twitchy. For jumping the 7m Wave will go bigger earlier, but it will hit the top of it’s range much sooner than the VX which will just go higher the windier it gets. Although doable on the Wave the VX also has much better freestyle potential. That said the Wave would make a better and easier going fun ‘all rounder’ for most intermediates that want a small kite but don’t plan on going out when it is ballistic.

All in all I’m really very impressed with this and the 12m VX (now wondering what the 9m is like). They have surprised me and the prototype 9m I tried way back before summer merely hinted at their potential, but failed to do the final version full justice. They are very accomplished bits of kit and will suit a rider with skills to match, but if you know how to put them through their paces then here in the UK why would you settle for just a C kite?

Awesome... no really AWESOME
    John.B

Postby fdvj » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:05 pm

I am tempted to take the piss John but instead I will try the kite as I have never took a stance against bridles, and love c shaped 4 line kites. Demo please mike.
    fdvj

Postby John.B » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:16 pm

fdvj wrote:I am tempted to take the piss John but instead I will try the kite as I have never took a stance against bridles, and love c shaped 4 line kites. Demo please mike.

I know but you can't do the embarrassed smiley in the Trade section; however in my defence these go beyond anything I tried when I switched from bridles myself. Far better than the Primes (of that time) and definitely better than other C-hybrid / open-C designs I have tried.

In general I think the black art of bridling has come a long way, but Airush seem to have the right input to the design process from the right type of rider. Also taking nothing away from the designer they possibly got a little bit lucky with last year’s 9m Wave (it was supposed to be solely a wave kite) and being able to deconstruct that and blend components of it across the range?

That said they are not and never will be Razors, but the gap between them has become very narrow and for mortal riders there really is no compromise… only benefit IMO.

A well powered VX and a Monk make for an awesome pairing :-)
    John.B

Postby Mike B » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:38 pm

I have only one demo 7 and It's reserved for a shop rider - struggling to get enough at the moment, but i will have more in 7-10 days.

The 7, 9, 10 and 12 all feel exactly the same, and I mean they perform almost identically - the 9 being probably the sweet spot. The 7 is reigned in, the 10 and 12 fully charged, and they feel very similar to the 9. I'll have a 9 and 10 you can try next week? drop me an email..

They are very good kites this year, I got caught short on forward orders..
    Mike B
    Brand Rep'
    Brand Rep'

Postby John.B » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:28 pm

Taken yesterday on the 7m VX

John.B

Postby fatfish98 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Superb photo John.....one for the wall surely?
    fatfish98

Postby John.B » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:25 am

fatfish98 wrote:Superb photo John.....one for the wall surely?

Yep - it was the missus who said we should have a canvas print done so who am I to complain?
    John.B

Postby Mike B » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Good session on the 14m vx and a few different surfboards, but when the session ended, it seemed only right to let test pilot no 2 take the 5'4 cypher through it's paces.
    Slightly worried that I look like "competitive dad" in the background.. lol

surfing sallys.jpg
    surfing sallys.jpg (99.61 KiB) Viewed 491 times
    Mike B
    Brand Rep'
    Brand Rep'

Postby jamie501 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:14 am

Quick little review after having a session on the 9m wave yesterday.

bit of background info

wind - 17-23 knts pretty steady
    4-5 ft waves
    pissing down and cold!!!!!!
    been riding for 6 years , weigh 78kg and was riding a epic atv 5'7"

so I'll start by saying I have brand/shop affiliation (not with airush) so I have no reason to say this kite is one of the best kites i've tried...............but im going to!

I wont go into to much cosmetic details but , yeh the bag looks well made but im the worst person at packing away kites ever so I prefer bigger bags. Ive tried airush bars before and im a fan, Pretty clean setup, Pu coated DP line, simple easy release, good quality lines...........not a fan of pull pull trims though. I much prefer the mini clam cleat on my ozone bars as it is a lot smoother to use. With only being 3 struts the kite inflates nice and easy however after using ozone kites with their big screw valve , whenever I use a kite with normal vaves they look a bit dated.........but they work so thats that !

as soon as i launched the first thing I noticed was how fast and agile it was. Not twitchy but FAST. I couldent wait to get in the water so picked up my board and ran to the water. Jumped straight on my surfboard and felt at home on the WAVE straight away. The kite feels really direct and you can feel exactly what the kite is doing but normally with direct you get heavy bar pressure , not with this. First couple of tacks I used to get up wind ready to line up for some waves and yeh the kite shoots upwind, which is a must for me on a surfboard as theres nothing worse than spending ages getting back upwind ready for your next hit......
    On the wave the kite is magic! you can chuck the kite around and get it exactly where it needs to be. the waves yesterday where either not very steep over the sandbar or closing out pretty fast further down the beach. but the kite alowed me to get alot more top turns in on the same wave than I would with other kites ive tried. Great kite for strapless riding as through the turn it doesent creat a surge of power that wants to rip you off your board, the power delivery is smooth and can easily be dumped if needed with just a push of the bar. The wind swung more onshore as the session went on and the kite seems to drift pretty well and turn with slack lines. however the wind was dropping at this point so couldent test to its full potential.

I could write more but tried to keep it short . so yeh overall one of the best wave kites ive tried in a long long time.

if you can get a demo try one......

jamie
    jamie501

Postby Mike B » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:34 pm

jamie501 wrote:I have brand/shop affiliation (not with airush) so I have no reason to say this kite is one of the best kites i've tried...............but im going to!

Thanks Jamie, I agree - it's a good kite - and the windier it gets the better it works. Like you say, fast but never twitchy. It has black magic for 70-85kg in that it sits back when lightly loaded (lots of power and instant steering response), then surges forward when you bite against it - natural range, underneath the sheeting ability, and the V4 bridle allows you to control it at stupidly high levels of depower. The result is an endless sweet sopt, and then there is the feel of the thing - so direct - you never need to look at it. You'll find the same tech and feel in the VX, though it will be a much better boosting kite and not quite as much drive in tight corners, but the feel and power band is very similar. They are on it in 2014!
    Mike B
    Brand Rep'
    Brand Rep'

Ocean Rodeo

PreviousNext

Return to Trade Expo